Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you over heat a sewing machine? And What color thread?

I've been strip piecing for about an 2 hours and on my last 10 pieces my brother innov'is will all of the sudden will go from a 2.5 stitch to about a 1.0. I shut it off and reset and it will sew fine for a piece or two and does it again, the settings still say 2.5 but these are micro stitches. I thought maybe I had to much bunched up behind the machine, but it did the same when cleared away. So can you sew to much, too long?

Next question. I'm working on a black and white quilt. Black on whites, whites on black. Small to medium print, rectange in a rectangle block. what color thread should I use to quilt it? I normally try to match the color of the background, but with this quilt the background is night and day. So whats your suggestions? What have you used? Do you have any pic of it?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    It's possible, but overheating shouldn't happen after just 2 hours.

Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.
    I always use a Primary or Brights variegated. Or lime green.

Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
    Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
    kathyd

Blog Entries
    There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D

I used black thread on one black & white quilt, the black thread about drove me nuts trying to focus on what I was stitching. It looked great when finished, I do prefer the black to white but the rest of my black & whites were quilted in white thread because my old brain doesn't want to focus on the black thread. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Your sewing machine problem may be in the foot control, if that is what you use. Had the same problem with a Singer when I sewed long and steady. The control got hot and the machine wouldn't run. Just a suggestion, I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyd
    Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
    Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
    kathyd
    My machine is less than 6 months old! oh gosh I hope I haven't worn it out that quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D
    Oh gosh I was hoping to do a free motion all over design, now you just caused another decision. I could do a custom quilt in each block.....? Oh no, more decisions.

Is it still under warranty? I use my Brother much longer than 2 hours with out problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I used black thread on one black & white quilt, the black thread about drove me nuts trying to focus on what I was stitching. It looked great when finished, I do prefer the black to white but the rest of my black & whites were quilted in white thread because my old brain doesn't want to focus on the black thread. :thumbup:
    The quilt is very busy, its hard to stay focused, I had a horrible time cutting and piecing. So maybe I should stay with the white?

Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.

Did you clean the bobbin area?

The only problem with varigated black and white is, what do you do the ensure that the changes occur on the same places as they change on the quilt. That would look pretty if the black on the thread and the white on the quilt were coordinated. Just a thought. I think the white thread would show up more than the black on black.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.
    Well lets hope not but if so its still under warranty! thank goodness, I just hate taking my machines into the shop. Letting her cool down to see if that helps.

Have you oiled it? Read your book.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Well lets hope not but if so its still under warranty! thank goodness, I just hate taking my machines into the shop. Letting her cool down to see if that helps.
    just in case..check all of your connections...the power cord and foot cord...My Elna did this one and it turned out that the foot pedal connection was not in all the way! It must have vibrated out while I was FMQing..hehehe

My Pfaff was 25 years old and had been used ALOT!

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! You arent going to believe this, it was the top thread. Its coats and clark, it has frays in it!. This is the 3rd one of these I've gotten in a year. I've use this stuff for years and have never had the problems I've had in the last year. Its the quilting thread I use to for piecing because its heavier more durable. Thats it! They are getting an e-mail from me. Quality control must not be top of the list. Thanks to all of you for your advice on the machine. Still not sure what thread I'll be quilting with. I called the local shop where I get my quilting thread and they said they have a varegated silver and black, green and yellow, orange pink and yellow. We'll see.

I have made a couple of black and white quilts. One I had trouble with trying to use a black to white variegated thread, I actually cut the quilting out. I couldn't see where I was going. The other I used a gray variegated and it worked out really well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! You arent going to believe this, it was the top thread. Its coats and clark, it has frays in it!. This is the 3rd one of these I've gotten in a year. I've use this stuff for years and have never had the problems I've had in the last year. Its the quilting thread I use to for piecing because its heavier more durable. Thats it! They are getting an e-mail from me. Quality control must not be top of the list. Thanks to all of you for your advice on the machine. Still not sure what thread I'll be quilting with. I called the local shop where I get my quilting thread and they said they have a varegated silver and black, green and yellow, orange pink and yellow. We'll see.
    I believe it...newer machines HATE C&C thread....wow...so glad you solved it without a BIG repairman bill...whew....

When was the last time you cleaned the machine. It may be that there is too much lint in the bobbin area and causeing the feed teeth to mess up. I have seen people that have never cleaned the bobbin case area have the same problem. Also if it has been a while since it was last serviced or has never been serviced it is time to do so.

Don't know what size quilt your are talking about and don't know if you want to do this but.......and please no quilt police arresting me.....I always use black in some way in all my quilts - even if it is just the label - it is my "signature." And since I do a lot of art quilts I have used the white in your instance and then used a sharpie permanent marker to go over the white threads on the black. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Try taking the needle plate off and clean under it. Otherwise I'd take it in to be serviced. Calibration seems to be off.

I had a log cabin quilt made with blacks on white, and whites on black prints. I quilted it with grey thread and it looks great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast