Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Can you over heat a sewing machine? And What color thread?

  1. #1
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    I've been strip piecing for about an 2 hours and on my last 10 pieces my brother innov'is will all of the sudden will go from a 2.5 stitch to about a 1.0. I shut it off and reset and it will sew fine for a piece or two and does it again, the settings still say 2.5 but these are micro stitches. I thought maybe I had to much bunched up behind the machine, but it did the same when cleared away. So can you sew to much, too long?


    Next question. I'm working on a black and white quilt. Black on whites, whites on black. Small to medium print, rectange in a rectangle block. what color thread should I use to quilt it? I normally try to match the color of the background, but with this quilt the background is night and day. So whats your suggestions? What have you used? Do you have any pic of it?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,459
    Blog Entries
    2
    It's possible, but overheating shouldn't happen after just 2 hours.

    Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.

  3. #3
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.
    I always use a Primary or Brights variegated. Or lime green.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kathyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    913
    Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
    Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
    kathyd

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D

  6. #6
    Super Member MaryStoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    3,925
    I used black thread on one black & white quilt, the black thread about drove me nuts trying to focus on what I was stitching. It looked great when finished, I do prefer the black to white but the rest of my black & whites were quilted in white thread because my old brain doesn't want to focus on the black thread. :thumbup:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    597
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your sewing machine problem may be in the foot control, if that is what you use. Had the same problem with a Singer when I sewed long and steady. The control got hot and the machine wouldn't run. Just a suggestion, I'm no expert.

  8. #8
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyd
    Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
    Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
    kathyd
    My machine is less than 6 months old! oh gosh I hope I haven't worn it out that quickly!

  9. #9
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D
    Oh gosh I was hoping to do a free motion all over design, now you just caused another decision. I could do a custom quilt in each block.....? Oh no, more decisions.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    447
    Is it still under warranty? I use my Brother much longer than 2 hours with out problems.

  11. #11
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I used black thread on one black & white quilt, the black thread about drove me nuts trying to focus on what I was stitching. It looked great when finished, I do prefer the black to white but the rest of my black & whites were quilted in white thread because my old brain doesn't want to focus on the black thread. :thumbup:
    The quilt is very busy, its hard to stay focused, I had a horrible time cutting and piecing. So maybe I should stay with the white?

  12. #12
    Super Member mhansen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    1,856
    Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.

  13. #13
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,665
    Did you clean the bobbin area?

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    howell, Mi
    Posts
    2,320
    The only problem with varigated black and white is, what do you do the ensure that the changes occur on the same places as they change on the quilt. That would look pretty if the black on the thread and the white on the quilt were coordinated. Just a thought. I think the white thread would show up more than the black on black.
    Sue

  15. #15
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.
    Well lets hope not but if so its still under warranty! thank goodness, I just hate taking my machines into the shop. Letting her cool down to see if that helps.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    upstate rural NY
    Posts
    168
    Have you oiled it? Read your book.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.
    Well lets hope not but if so its still under warranty! thank goodness, I just hate taking my machines into the shop. Letting her cool down to see if that helps.
    just in case..check all of your connections...the power cord and foot cord...My Elna did this one and it turned out that the foot pedal connection was not in all the way! It must have vibrated out while I was FMQing..hehehe

  18. #18
    Super Member mhansen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Oh my Pfaff did that just before it started smoking. I had burnt out the motor. Nothing that can be done, it went into the recyle bin at work.
    Well lets hope not but if so its still under warranty! thank goodness, I just hate taking my machines into the shop. Letting her cool down to see if that helps.
    My Pfaff was 25 years old and had been used ALOT!

  19. #19
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! You arent going to believe this, it was the top thread. Its coats and clark, it has frays in it!. This is the 3rd one of these I've gotten in a year. I've use this stuff for years and have never had the problems I've had in the last year. Its the quilting thread I use to for piecing because its heavier more durable. Thats it! They are getting an e-mail from me. Quality control must not be top of the list. Thanks to all of you for your advice on the machine. Still not sure what thread I'll be quilting with. I called the local shop where I get my quilting thread and they said they have a varegated silver and black, green and yellow, orange pink and yellow. We'll see.

  20. #20
    Super Member Monika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,754
    I have made a couple of black and white quilts. One I had trouble with trying to use a black to white variegated thread, I actually cut the quilting out. I couldn't see where I was going. The other I used a gray variegated and it worked out really well.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! You arent going to believe this, it was the top thread. Its coats and clark, it has frays in it!. This is the 3rd one of these I've gotten in a year. I've use this stuff for years and have never had the problems I've had in the last year. Its the quilting thread I use to for piecing because its heavier more durable. Thats it! They are getting an e-mail from me. Quality control must not be top of the list. Thanks to all of you for your advice on the machine. Still not sure what thread I'll be quilting with. I called the local shop where I get my quilting thread and they said they have a varegated silver and black, green and yellow, orange pink and yellow. We'll see.
    I believe it...newer machines HATE C&C thread....wow...so glad you solved it without a BIG repairman bill...whew....

  22. #22
    Junior Member sewtruterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Aurora IL
    Posts
    116
    When was the last time you cleaned the machine. It may be that there is too much lint in the bobbin area and causeing the feed teeth to mess up. I have seen people that have never cleaned the bobbin case area have the same problem. Also if it has been a while since it was last serviced or has never been serviced it is time to do so.

  23. #23
    Senior Member ywoodruff5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CA and MN
    Posts
    381
    Don't know what size quilt your are talking about and don't know if you want to do this but.......and please no quilt police arresting me.....I always use black in some way in all my quilts - even if it is just the label - it is my "signature." And since I do a lot of art quilts I have used the white in your instance and then used a sharpie permanent marker to go over the white threads on the black. :oops:

  24. #24
    Super Member Happy Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Port Ludlow, WA
    Posts
    1,384
    Blog Entries
    5
    Try taking the needle plate off and clean under it. Otherwise I'd take it in to be serviced. Calibration seems to be off.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Macon, Ga
    Posts
    273
    I had a log cabin quilt made with blacks on white, and whites on black prints. I quilted it with grey thread and it looks great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.