Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you over heat a sewing machine? And What color thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-over-heat-sewing-machine-what-color-thread-t144639.html)

leatheflea 08-12-2011 10:56 AM

I've been strip piecing for about an 2 hours and on my last 10 pieces my brother innov'is will all of the sudden will go from a 2.5 stitch to about a 1.0. I shut it off and reset and it will sew fine for a piece or two and does it again, the settings still say 2.5 but these are micro stitches. I thought maybe I had to much bunched up behind the machine, but it did the same when cleared away. So can you sew to much, too long?

Next question. I'm working on a black and white quilt. Black on whites, whites on black. Small to medium print, rectange in a rectangle block. what color thread should I use to quilt it? I normally try to match the color of the background, but with this quilt the background is night and day. So whats your suggestions? What have you used? Do you have any pic of it?

Thanks in advance!

PaperPrincess 08-12-2011 10:59 AM

It's possible, but overheating shouldn't happen after just 2 hours.

Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.

MTS 08-12-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Can you add a color to your b&w quilt? I would go with red or a multicolor varigated.

I always use a Primary or Brights variegated. Or lime green.

kathyd 08-12-2011 11:14 AM

Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
kathyd

amma 08-12-2011 11:16 AM

There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D

MaryStoaks 08-12-2011 11:19 AM

I used black thread on one black & white quilt, the black thread about drove me nuts trying to focus on what I was stitching. It looked great when finished, I do prefer the black to white but the rest of my black & whites were quilted in white thread because my old brain doesn't want to focus on the black thread. :thumbup:

scraphq 08-12-2011 11:35 AM

Your sewing machine problem may be in the foot control, if that is what you use. Had the same problem with a Singer when I sewed long and steady. The control got hot and the machine wouldn't run. Just a suggestion, I'm no expert.

leatheflea 08-12-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by kathyd
Last summer when I had my Viking in for servicing, the feed dogs needed to be replaced. Basically they had worn down and weren't able to grip the fabric, all my stitches were the same length no matter the setting. My machine was 12 years old at the time! It now works fine.
Is there a varigated thread that maybe goes from black to white? I don't do machine quilting but is this an option?
kathyd

My machine is less than 6 months old! oh gosh I hope I haven't worn it out that quickly!

leatheflea 08-12-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by amma
There are black and white varigated threads if you want to stick to the black and white theme. You can also quilt part with black and part with white too :D:D:D

Oh gosh I was hoping to do a free motion all over design, now you just caused another decision. I could do a custom quilt in each block.....? Oh no, more decisions.

Feathers-N-Fur 08-12-2011 12:24 PM

Is it still under warranty? I use my Brother much longer than 2 hours with out problems.