Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you over heat a sewing machine? And What color thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-over-heat-sewing-machine-what-color-thread-t144639.html)

jaciqltznok 08-12-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! You arent going to believe this, it was the top thread. Its coats and clark, it has frays in it!. This is the 3rd one of these I've gotten in a year. I've use this stuff for years and have never had the problems I've had in the last year. Its the quilting thread I use to for piecing because its heavier more durable. Thats it! They are getting an e-mail from me. Quality control must not be top of the list. Thanks to all of you for your advice on the machine. Still not sure what thread I'll be quilting with. I called the local shop where I get my quilting thread and they said they have a varegated silver and black, green and yellow, orange pink and yellow. We'll see.

I believe it...newer machines HATE C&C thread....wow...so glad you solved it without a BIG repairman bill...whew....

sewtruterry 08-13-2011 04:23 AM

When was the last time you cleaned the machine. It may be that there is too much lint in the bobbin area and causeing the feed teeth to mess up. I have seen people that have never cleaned the bobbin case area have the same problem. Also if it has been a while since it was last serviced or has never been serviced it is time to do so.

ywoodruff5 08-13-2011 05:11 AM

Don't know what size quilt your are talking about and don't know if you want to do this but.......and please no quilt police arresting me.....I always use black in some way in all my quilts - even if it is just the label - it is my "signature." And since I do a lot of art quilts I have used the white in your instance and then used a sharpie permanent marker to go over the white threads on the black. :oops:

Happy Linda 08-13-2011 06:20 AM

Try taking the needle plate off and clean under it. Otherwise I'd take it in to be serviced. Calibration seems to be off.

New knee 08-13-2011 06:44 AM

I had a log cabin quilt made with blacks on white, and whites on black prints. I quilted it with grey thread and it looks great.

BeckyL 08-13-2011 07:08 AM

Maybe you just need to thoroughly clean the bobbin area, removing the bobbin casing and cleaning with a brush. Then rethread the bobbin and from the top, retread to your needle as well. It seems whenever I have an issue, if I just stop and clean EVERYTHING it makes such a difference.

Just read your notice re: Coats and Clark. I have found it frays and also creates so much more lint than anything else. I no longer use it.

Marysewfun 08-13-2011 07:19 AM

I didn't have a machine overheat - but I had one start sewing BACKWARDS! Called the shop and they said to pull the plug out of the wall, let it sit for a few minutes and plug it in again - worked fine. Said something about it being polarized.

Marysewfun

Bjbaxter 08-13-2011 07:22 AM

Well, I am having the same issue with my Bernina, I am still able to use it, but have to reach under the feed dogs and push them up into place. I just have some quilts I need to finish for a show, so don't have time to take it in since they will probably need to have it for a while.

Quilting Angel 08-13-2011 07:33 AM

I'm not sure about what is going on with your machine, but I hope there is a simple solution. As for the quilt, maybe use a gray to quilt with.

ShirlinAZ 08-13-2011 07:43 AM

You might try questioning Brother on their customer service web page. Or check with your Brother dealer about the machine.

Rather than a black/white variegated thread, how about a grey variegated. Aurifil makes a gorgeous variegated grey with very subtle changes from a silver to a charcoal.