Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops >

Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Cancellation of Hand Quilting Workshops

Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I grieve for you.

Wish you had the room to make space for small workshops in your home or nearby. Maybe even a 'camp' type experience at a lodge or such.

Good luck,
ali
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Thank you all for your support and your ideas! I really appreciate all that help.
In my workshops I do not only demonstrate my way of quilting and than let the students practice for hours. I also give a lot of information about fabrics, battings, needles, threads and other notions usable and available for hand quilting. We talk about marking and basting methods and how to make your own templates and stencils. I bring some of my quilts and also the first quilt I have ever made - so they can see how it is possible to improve your skills with practice. So I think it is not too bad what I offer.
Last weekend I demonstrated hand quilting during a quilt show here in my area. Many people were watching - and most of them told me they will never have the patience or the time to try it. Well, I think I can't change that. One of the visitors, a very nice gentleman of 83 years - we had a wonderful conversation for about 30 minutes! - was so impressed that an old craft like quilting is still alive and a single person of our time is still able to practice it like I do. I must admit I felt very honored to hear something like that. And I am sure I will go on as long as I can.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM

I registered to take a hand piecing class from my LQS that got canceled - not enough other people registered. I'm a bit bummed by that.

K
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

That's too bad. This is one of the few places I've found on the internet where hand sewing is discussed in a positive way. I guess there aren't as many around as I thought.

janet
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Handquilting is an "old" art nowadays, but we can keep it alive by continuing to do it and share like you do. It's like everything else, easy ways to quilt, quicker, rotary cutting, etc. Some things are better left as they are like the art of handquilting. Hope you figure something out. Smaller classes at a library, senior center???? HUGS
Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I have re-started to offer hand quilting workshops here in Germany last year and at the beginning there was quite a lot of interest.
This weekend I received a message of one of the shop owners who organizes one of my workshops. She has to cancel it because there were no interest at all in attending. This is the second planned workshop for this year that must be cancelled due to that.
I must say I am a little disappointed. I know people still love to see hand quilting and other traditional crafts - but most of them don't want to learn and do it by themselves. They don't have the time or the money to attend a workshop, they call themselves too impatient for a craft like that and of course I hear many other good reasons. Well, I can understand them all - but I still feel a little disappointed.
I have earned some money with my workshops so I can pay the material for my quilts - now I will have to look around and find something else. Maybe I should enter more quilts at shows and win big awards! :D
Ahhh, sorry for your dissappointment, but now I say....GO FOR THE BIG BUCKS!!! Your work is superb, maybe you could advertise your workshop yourself (dont go thru the shop) Good luck....waiting to see more of your masterpieces :):)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Kas

I would be in your class in a heartbeat! You have such a great talent. It is a shame others are not interested in learning your secrets.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Wish you were here near my area. I would love to take your classes. You do such beautiful quilting, and a person should learn only from the best.
Best wishes.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Oh, I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be any interest. I wish you lived near me to teach me how to handquilt. I've done a few small items but feel all thumbs and have never really gotten the 'rhythm' of handquilting. Maybe it's the economy and when things get a little better there will be more interest. I hope so!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Thats the spirit......you have a great attitude.....it will take you to a place that is better. Although, Germany is such a wonderful place to be.......I visited my grandson in Bavaria 10 years ago