Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Candy Bar Cuts? >

Candy Bar Cuts?

Candy Bar Cuts?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM

I do alot figuring too, like this, in my head, when I see these precuts, & alot of times, most of the time, they average out way too costly, no matter how nice the fabrics are...The only good deal for them, would be a really good sale, with alot marked off them... Even alot of kits are that way, so I don't buy kits either...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM

I am so guilty - i bought some off Etsy...I just can't help myself. It's less calories than a real candy bar!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AmyBaby
I am so guilty - i bought some off Etsy...I just can't help myself. It's less calories than a real candy bar!
Yes. but think of the indigestion they may cause. Hehe
Old 11-09-2010, 11:37 AM
BMP

Just thin of all the new ideas that come about because of the new sized pre-cuts !!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM

As I read the thread, good points being made on both sides, the pros and the cons.

If there is a niche for it in the market, good for the company, good for the consumer. We pay for convenience as well as for necessity. Obviously it has value and the marketing is geared to service those consumers.

Not being it that category, it's too pricey and for now, I can cut my own without difficulties. That being said, we are so visual. Our eyes soak up everything and those cute little cuts need a home so it puts a desire which works itself up and out so that next thing we know, here we are purchasing them based on looks, not practicality. Businesses LOVE us for that. ;)

Beyond that, yep, what cuts and what food names come next. Another smooth move, name it after sweet dessert treats. May irritate some to some degree, but brilliant for the association of food and fabric.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Originally Posted by featherweight
Do they think we are so stupid that we can't cut a 2 1/2 x 5" piece of fabric???
I don't think that's is a question of "so stupid." I just think that some people would rather have the convenience of having things cut and ready to go. Also, some people have problems with their hands and can't cut all that fabric. Arthritis is a big issue with us old folk. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Personally I haven't learned how to rotary cut. I still have a rotary cutter in the package. Realistically I don't have the space to cut out pieces from whatever yardage of fabric. I don't even have a table---I sew on a TV dinner stand from the lack of space. You try cutting a yard of fabric on a surface that your sewing machine barely fits on! lol. So I can kind of see the appeal of these pre-cut packages named after sweets. I think it would be great for people starting to learn how to rotary cut because some people find rotary cutting a bit scary. These jellyrolls, honey buns, candy bars, or whatever else they come out with would be great since they'd be starting out cutting from these pre-made strips rather than a yardage of fabric they really like (eliminates the worry of totally butchering up a fabric you simply adore).
Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

interesting...although I hardly ever buy cuts. Good to know they are available if I ever get tired of the pain from fibro, with the cutting.
Thanks, ams :thumbup:
Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't think it's stupidity either but they think there are a whole lot of quilter's that would like to have the boring work done for them...
Me, I always wash fabric when I bring it home. I don't like the smell of it or the feel. I want to know what it's going to be like after it's laundered. To me, the sizing and dye take away from the real fabric.
I think fabric sizing is a way of hiding something...washing reveals the real fabric.. the quality.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM

They'll figure out a way to wrap up the border and baking and call them Cinnamon buns or something else tasty..
Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 PM

A member of our guild bought the Professional model AccuCut & now we pay her $40.00 per year & she will cut anything we want. How's that for convenience? I think these machines are the reason for the marketing mania with special cuts. They realized we really go for the convenience so they are coming up with new cuts all the time.