Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't finish my quilts >

Can't finish my quilts

Can't finish my quilts

Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 AM

Sometimes I don't finish a quilt for a while because it is something I have done for myself and always I was taught to do for others first. Sometimes I don't finish a quilt for a while because I have enjoyed each step of it's construction that I don't want it to end. Sometimes when I finish a quilt it is the best feeling in the world.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 AM

I had a reluctance to finish my quilts but for different reasons. Even though I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter, I finally figured out that I love the piecing but hate the quilting. I come from generations of hand quilters who all tried to get me interested, without pushing me, but I just never liked it. I didn't even sew a quilt top until 8 years ago and to date I have sewn 224 quilt tops. I've tried hand quilting, small machine quilting and a friend's long arm... none of those are my thing. So now I tie the comfort quilts, and pay someone to quilt my big quilts. Perhaps you could break down each segment of the quiltmaking process to see if you love it.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Would a quilt-a-long with others on QB work? You would all pick a UFO to work on over a very specific time and post as you go??
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM

I understand how you are feeling. I like the piecing, but not the quilting, as well. This week I finished a quilt for a dear friend and it didn't turn out the way I thought it would. Disappointing. Maybe if my friend likes it, I'll feel better. The end is never as good as I think it will be. Scrappies turn out well for me, so that might be where I should focus. I hope you can find your way through to liking the quilting, too.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I don't think it's perfectionism that's the issue any more. Used to be - I ruined my first few years of quilting by thinking everything had to be perfect. I've moved on from that, and if they look OK from several feet away with my glasses off, that'll do! I don't intend to enter any shows. It's the enjoyment of the process that matters. No, strangely, there's almost a pain in seeing that my work IS quite good - that's surprisingly hard to deal with. Which must be where the old stories are still getting in the way.
I'm wondering if the pain of seeing now that your work is quite good is a kind of grief about creative "children" that went unborn because of the old stories. As I get older, I find I need to acknowledge grief about unrealized potential and lost opportunities in order to free myself up for today. Thank you for sharing your struggle with this issue.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 AM

Don't compare yourself tto others as you have a talent and it is time for you to shine. There are people whi just do not like the quilting part so take it to a longarmer or have someone do that part for them.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm a longarmer and it is always hard to see something leave me.But,there's no choice.And we become emotionally attached to things.So,when they are done they need to go to another place and we loose control of them.Control might be the issue.Not problem mind you.But issue.There is always part of me that is put into what I do.And when I have to let it go part of me goes with it.Good thing I do lots,because I'm filld back up with other things.I'm rambling.Sorry
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 AM

I had a quilt that was quilted but not bound for over a year. I finally decided that it would take just a couple nights to finish, which I did. I have two at the quilters and I am having her do the binding and the other two at another quilters I will finish. It seems that once you get the quilt done and only have the binding it is easier to start another quilt instead. Like others please show the quilts.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM

I have a few UFO piles... some of them move from pile to pile - some have been stuck for years. There is the - started, and got far enough to see what it looked like pile - the blocks together, waiting for borders pile/combined with a finished top waiting for quilting pile - and then there is the quilted waiting for binding pile.

The funnest part for me is the challenge of something new - so I start something and loose interest quickly once I see I can do it and get a pretty good idea of what it will look like. I think that's why I like the bargellos and OBW so much - you're never really quite sure what it will look like until it's done.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM

Don't let those criticisms of the past get in the way of becoming your own person. I, too, had critical sisters and a mother who never paid me a compliment. Until I was 35, way after I was married, I kowtowed to the women in my family. Suddenly, I realized that they no longer controlled me. My husband is supportive, at times, and I know that I can do many things they could not do. Find your strengths and run with them, including binding those quilts. Check out Sharon Schamber's binding tips and let us see the results.