Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't keep a secret and also need advice

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, I admit it! I can't keep secrets very well and I'm just busting to tell somebody and I was sworn to secrecy for a while longer, but I'm going to be a grandma. My daughter and son-in-law surprised us on Christmas morning with the news that my first grandchild is on the way. She doesn't want the news to be broadcast quite yet until she's a little further along, so I promised I wouldn't put it on Facebook. :mrgreen: I had to tell someone though or several someones my exciting news.

For the advice part, as a beginning quilter, what baby quilt designs would you recommend? Want to go buy fabric tomorrow and get going right away. Any tips, advice will be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on going to be a Grandmother!!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulation, Grandma you had the best Christmas gift of all. I want tell anyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Oh that is so so exciting! I think just about any baby quilts are beautiful! Might want to see how she is planning to decorate the nursery - frogs, ducks, etc. though!

Blog Entries
    what do you enjoy making??? The disappearing nine patch was my second quilt. So easy and fun!!! made a lap quilt in three days.

Congratulations!!!

a regular here
    Congratulations. A easy block is a simple 9 patch, but any block used with pastels works fine.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the great news!!! How can someone expect you to keep a secret like that. I think you should wait on making the quilt until she is further along and decides on a color for the baby.

Banned
    You're secret is safe with me...and I can't blame you for being so excited and having to spill to SOMEONE! LOL! First grandchildren are such a blessing! You will fall in love like you never have before! I know i have LOL!
    You just pour your heart into that quilt and it will be beautiful!

Contrats! I have made several baby quilts since we have 3 new ones (2 still to arrive). Look at fatcatpatterns - lots of cute ones free.

First of all congratulations. I couldn't be happier for you. Now, for the crib quilt. I have made several of these for my customers so I will share pictures of the ones I have made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Right now she's thinking she wants Winnie the Pooh for the nursery, but she's only known she's pregnant for a week. She hasn't even started looking at baby things yet so I think she may change her mind when she sees all the cute themes there are now. They've decided they are not going to find out the sex of the baby until it's born so I definitely can't do either blue or pink. I do machine embroidery and will be doing a Pooh quilt with embroidered squares, but I also want to do a generic baby quilt to give to her soon as a congratulations quilt. I'm so excited! Thanks for letting me share with all of you.

Just one more reason to make a quilt:-)

It is a very exciting time for you. I have two myselft and feel so lucky. There is no feeling like this in the world, not even when our own children were born. As far as quilts go, I have used the hour glass patten multiple times and it is always a hit. Congrats

Blog Entries
    the best to all of you, and the very best is yet to be.

Banned
    selecting fabric will depend on whether you want the quilt to be used, lovingly abused, burped on and have other liquids dropped on.......or.......a quilt that will be put away and saved as an heirloom.

We won't tell a soul! What fun is ahead for you! Congrats!

I think star quilts are so cute for babies. The center could be the embroidery you do and yellow star points. Works for boy or girl. I did one with disney babies and it has been well loved for the past couple of years.

That would be a hard secret to keep :) cant say I wouldnt do the same. I want to be a grandma so bad...my son is still young (only 23) so it may be a while. Although...he and his girlfriend have been dating for 5 years and they are going to Washington D.C. and then New York for New Years. Could it be he will finally.............?

kbs
    What a nice Christmas present. I have made baby quilts for several GGC. I always make oversize and use bright pretty colors, not pastels, so the quilt will do for a long time. I use different patterns for each. Have fun, make more than one.

Mee toooo !! First grandchild !!! They don't want to know the sex until it's born so I guess the first quilr will just be bright colors.

Congratulations and your secret is safe with us. There are only about 12,000 members............................

Welcome to the club!! It's the best!!! :)

Congrats! I'm in IL too and actually a L&D nurse. Get started on grandma-made gifts now, but keep it secret from them. We know you're good at that. Lucky baby.

Blog Entries
    congrats!! I made my bfd a 3Dpinwheel in bright jewel colors nd white, The new mom loved it so much she hung it on the wall of the babys room.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast