Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't Stop Shopping >

Can't Stop Shopping

Can't Stop Shopping

Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 AM

Hi! My name is Fabriholic and I keep looking for more. My latest finds include 7 bolts [ some partial ] of flannels and other plaids. I payed a whopping $40.00 for it and got an estimated 60 yards. Then a few days later I acquired for $20.00, 2 whopping big tote tubs of misc. quilting cottons. I have been sorting and filing and have filled 3 of the shallow tubs with the most beautiful FQs and up to 2 yard pieces. there was also enough 4-10 yard pieces to fill a supersize tub ! There was also a garbage bag full of " scraps" and this is where I found cut quilt pieces and most of the FQs. Not too bad for a little hard work!! And yes my sewing room is overflowing.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Yep, I am a fabric addict also.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

When I donate anything, I don't ask for a tax receipt. Especially, when it's going to a good cause. One year my husband was given 2 large whole hams. He called his main ofc and asked if he could give one to the local soup kitchen, and the other to a family of 8 who just lost their father. The company didn't even think about asking for a receipt. It wasn't big enough for them to deduct. Being a fabri-holic is better than an alcoholic. no one benefits from an alcoholic.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM

One definition of a fabric- dependency problem...a quilter who accepts free fabric,even though there is no place to put it! I must be a fabric- holic....just moved my 93 year old MIL into assisted living apartment....coveting all her unused storage space!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
My name is Caroline and I am a fabriholic. BUT I keep a spread sheet to record my thrift store fabric purchases to calculate the actual cost per yard. That way I can easily justify buying MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!
That's a great idea. Maybe I'll track yardage and the number of quilts I'm able to get out of it. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
When I donate anything, I don't ask for a tax receipt. Especially, when it's going to a good cause. One year my husband was given 2 large whole hams. He called his main ofc and asked if he could give one to the local soup kitchen, and the other to a family of 8 who just lost their father. The company didn't even think about asking for a receipt. It wasn't big enough for them to deduct. Being a fabri-holic is better than an alcoholic. no one benefits from an alcoholic.
By my way of thinking if you and/or your husband were given two whole hams and wanted to , you could eat them, give them away, or let them sit out and rot, or even feed them to your dogs or cats....they are yours. Why would you need to ask? Were they given with the provision that they were for your table only?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie R View Post
I've become obsessed with searching for quilting fabric on Craigslist and at garage sales. I'm sure my family will be staging an intervention soon. It all started when I came across fabric at Joann's priced at $12.99 yard. I make a lot of charity quilts for Quilts for Kids but I just can't see spending that kind of money for them (I know not all fabrics cost that much). Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the summer garage sale season and I've had some good finds. One lady was a fabric designer, another sewed Vera Bradley knock-off purses - so they've had really some really great fabrics at great prices.

My name is Julie - and I'm a fabri-holic.
I understand and sympathize with your problem.

It was a good thing I was only in the states briefly just now. I hit up all the thrift stores in the area. I hit a jackpot in a store about 45 min. from mom and dad's house--lots of nice stuff --I think it was $1/yard. Really good quality quilting cottons--beautiful stuff. But mostly...not too much there in FL.

If you have that tendency, it might be a problem to spend more time "on the hunt" for fabric than actually sewing. I'm still putting stuff away that I brought over on the plane and I arrived on Sat. afternoon! (Of course, I've been sewing....!)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

I used to be a fabriholic but yesterday scored a victory. I went into a fabric store with my DH (he had to have a small piece of velvet) and I didn't come out with a single FQ or any material. YEAH
Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 AM

My name is Linda and I'm a fabric-holic, so is my sister Nancy, and even though we live 500 miles apart we are each other's enabler, as if we don't buy enough fabric for ourselves we buy fabric for each other when we see great deals!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 AM

The only garage sale that was in our area I didn't see until Sat. Figured by then there wouldn't be anything left so I didn't go. Don't have much luck at thrift stores around here. Oh by the way, my name is Nancy and I am a fabric-holic!