Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't Stop Shopping >

Can't Stop Shopping

Can't Stop Shopping

Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM

Well, I am a fabriholic and I love it too. However, I do want to share another side of the issue with my quilting friends just as something to keep in mind.

I always have trouble resisting a good fabric buy, but at one point last winter, I found myself unable to resist ANY fabric buy. I would be telling myself NO, the whole time I was filling my basket, and PUT IT BACK. I was spending money we didn't have. But no matter how much I lectured myself, I would be shocked at the check out by how much I had spent.

I became very concerned by how compulsive this problem was getting. And it didn't happen with anything except fabric. So at my next Dr. appt. I laughingly mentioned it, and come to find out, it was a side effect of a medication I was taking.

We lowered the dose by half and the problem was gone within 2 weeks.

So please do enjoy your fabric shopping, but if you ever do really feel out of control, look into it, there could be something going on besides a good healthy love of wonderful fabrics. Hugggggggs and smilessssss.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM

My name is Pat & I'm a fabri-holic in remission. I'm trying very hard to shop from my stash most of the time now. Do I hear somebody say "yeah right famous last words". I agree but I'm trying.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Hi! My name is Linda. I, too, am a fabri-holic & love being one. My DS & family were here a few weeks ago & he told me I was border line hoarder. I would rather buy fabric than anything else. Although I do get most of my fabric from yard sales & thrift stores. My DH supports my habit so am happy with it.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

My name is Marge - and I'm a fabri-holic to the core, and I don't want to be cured. LOL
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

My name is Aronel - and I am a fabri-holic and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM

My name is Judy and I am a thrifty fabri-holic. I prefer to buy from thrift stores, then I can justify my purchases because of the good deals that I am getting...lol
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Hi! My name is Linda. I, too, am a fabri-holic & love being one. My DS & family were here a few weeks ago & he told me I was border line hoarder. I would rather buy fabric than anything else. Although I do get most of my fabric from yard sales & thrift stores. My DH supports my habit so am happy with it.
My son called my sewing room a fire hazard. I have since gotten rid of some things. I think he might have been right.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM

I am also a fabric addict, but I'm just starting. . I also look for skinny bolts because the JoAnn's I go to gives me up to $1.50 credit on that yardage (depending on the price) for taking what's left on the bolt. They also did that at another fabric store. I'm always on the hunt for the sale price. LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julie R View Post
I've become obsessed with searching for quilting fabric on Craigslist and at garage sales. I'm sure my family will be staging an intervention soon. It all started when I came across fabric at Joann's priced at $12.99 yard. I make a lot of charity quilts for Quilts for Kids but I just can't see spending that kind of money for them (I know not all fabrics cost that much). Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed the summer garage sale season and I've had some good finds. One lady was a fabric designer, another sewed Vera Bradley knock-off purses - so they've had really some really great fabrics at great prices.

My name is Julie - and I'm a fabri-holic.
Julie, I too, used to be a fabric shopaholic of sorts...but then we ran out of money. We really CAN stop. Nobody since then, has offered to give me new fabric for free. Sad, but true
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Default Fabri-Holic? You Bet!!!

I have always had a lot fabric. But, a few years ago I had to sell about all of my fabric because my husband and I needed money in the worst way. I then started receiving fabric donations from some absolute wonderful ladies on this board. This gave me a nice little stash which enabled me to start sewing again. I started making blankets and small dog beds for charity and some things I sold. Now that I am able to buy fabric again I can't stop. I seem to be afraid of "running out" again. So every time I go anywhere I buy fabric. I get it at shops, thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, auctions any where I can get it. It doesn't have to be bulk fabric it can be clothing that I repurpose. It's all good. So you are not alone. Hello my name is BETH and I'm a fabri-holic and I'm not ashamed to admit it. How about everyone else?