Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't wrap my head around it!! >
  • Can't wrap my head around it!!

• Can't wrap my head around it!!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Don't blame you for not going back. We had a fabric shop here and I made the mistake of saying something about Hancocks and Joanns. One of the ladies there said, "I would hope you would never be comparing our fabrics to the trash they have there." I looked her dead in the eye and said, "Lord, please save us from the eliteists. Some of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen have used Bull Durham bags for the white in them. Fabric doesn't have to cost $10-$12 a yard to make a pretty and useful quilt." Then I left.

Amen!
    :thumbup: Thanks everyone for the great ideas for scrappy quilts. I have a lot of scraps that I want to use for a scrappy quilt and this is giving me a lot of inspiration!
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Let me warn you, it is addicting. As you grab and stitch, your mind says "just one more piece here, that one will fit there". I find its a good "breather" project to do as a break from the bigger projects. It sort of clears the mind, takes you on a trip down memory lane as you remember where the scraps came from, and lets you go a bit mindless (unless you still cling to OCD tendencies, which I understand completely). Did I mention how fast it is? After just a few hours, I have almost 30 blocks done, probably half the quilt body.
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
    Dkm

I'm the same, but I also think this stops our creative side. I have even been told by quilting friends to lighten up and let go. I have been watching the board about the tube quilting and decided that I am going to make a scrap tube. Believe me this will take a lot of willpower on my part. I have tried to make scrape quilts before and just gave up once I started seeing myself fret over the colors and big flower to little flower. hang in there.
    Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 AM

I broke out of the control problem after someone said "Think of how happy a scrap quilt would make a sick child". If you can think of it as helping someone else it helps. And then donate it somewhere :-) If you've never donated a quilt before you can't imagine the warmth it brings to your inner being. It's magical.
    Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM

The dark, light, medium divisions of fabric is a great idea and would satisfy my need to have things looks matched. I have a book (sent to me by a non-quilting friend) call Stash Buster Quilts by Lynne Edwards (copyright 2006). It has some lovely quilts in it; to save wear & tear on my feeble brain, I'm going to use patterns in there for my scrappies (some day).
    Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    I,too, have to have things either match or at least make sense when I first look at them. I find that if a quilt has too many diff. colors in it, I just pass it up without studying it to figure out the blocks.

Then I sort of broke my own rule. I started taking sm. discarded pcs. out of the waste basket. Just had a hard time tossing them out. I mean some very teeny pcs. Then I found a paper piecing pattern that was made from those "trash" pcs. of fabric. I've never posted a picture here but I will try. I call it my "Free Quilt". Even the sashing & backing were from my stash & had been there for sev. yrs. So it's all free for me. Pat
    First of all the quilt is gorgeous!!! I actually looks planned!! I have 15 tubs of fabric and doing a scrappy is something I really want to do but terrifies me!!! I am going to put this on my list though. I think I have about 10 projects ahead that need to get done first. Trying to clear out WIP's and UFO's plus the need to starts and finish within certain timeframes. I better get my bottom in gear!!! :lol: :oops:
    Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Sewcrafty,

I'm happy you like my quilt. Nothing about the blocks were planned though.

Sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself on something that should be so much fun. Are you sure that all of your unfinished projects really need to be finished? I sometimes have to just let go & put things in a drawer & give myself permission to just forget them.

I've really enjoyed finding this site. I've learned so much from all of you. It's so nice to share with fellow quilters who all love the same thing.

Pat G
    Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    Sewcrafty,

I'm happy you like my quilt. Nothing about the blocks were planned though.

Sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself on something that should be so much fun. Are you sure that all of your unfinished projects really need to be finished? I sometimes have to just let go & put things in a drawer & give myself permission to just forget them.

I've really enjoyed finding this site. I've learned so much from all of you. It's so nice to share with fellow quilters who all love the same thing.

Pat G
    A couple of them are a definitely!!! Probably at the minmum 3. I guess I could put a couple of them back from where they came from!!! :lol: :lol: Didn't find them for a while, so I guess I wasn't in all that big of a hurry, oh well. It just would be nice to get things cleared up. You know its like spring cleaning which is coming up soon. :-D
    Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

I was that way also but soon learned that closing my eyes and vowing to use what ever I pull out of the bag makes a scrappy quilt.
    Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM

to This Mom Quilts, your pix are cool. The funniest thing is that I looked at your blocks and I'm going, "Oh, I have that fabric, and that one, and that one, and that one,. . . . . . . " What a hoot!!!!