Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't wrap my head around it!! >

Can't wrap my head around it!!

Can't wrap my head around it!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I know where you are coming from. I love scrappy quilts and just can't make one.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way!! Makes me feel as there is hope yet. :lol: :lol: :lol: When I get my courage up, maybe I'll try it. Couple projects ahead of it though, always thinking in advance. This one may take me awhile! :-) Makes me nervous thinking about it.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JJean
I start with fabrics I like that makes it easy. I get bored with just 2-10 fabrics. I like them all and so scrappy works better for me.
Oh, that is just wonderful! I am about to start a scrappy braid quilt. I think I am ging to do the "grab bag " tecnique. It sounds like fun.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I kind of fit at both ends of this. Most of my quilts are sort of scrappy, controlled scrappy. My quilt may be 3 colors, but I use 50 different fabrics, all shades of those colors. I love the look. But, I have never done a "real" scrappy quilt, all colors, shades, pick out of the bag type, because, I like many truely scrappy quilts, but, not all. Some just don't work, IMHO. You might try doing a "controlled scrappy" as a start, then work up to truely scrappy, someday I might also!! I have noticed that the ones that I like, tend to have a lot of white, or cream, to make all the other colors work together.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM

www.quiltville.com

Bonnie does random and planned scrappy

the quilts ALWAYS come out great, and she has loads of ways to tame the scraps too

....just be prepared to spend some time looking around, may need a cup of something.....
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM

I,too, have to have things either match or at least make sense when I first look at them. I find that if a quilt has too many diff. colors in it, I just pass it up without studying it to figure out the blocks.

Then I sort of broke my own rule. I started taking sm. discarded pcs. out of the waste basket. Just had a hard time tossing them out. I mean some very teeny pcs. Then I found a paper piecing pattern that was made from those "trash" pcs. of fabric. I've never posted a picture here but I will try. I call it my "Free Quilt". Even the sashing & backing were from my stash & had been there for sev. yrs. So it's all free for me. Pat

My Free Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26260[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26260.jpe  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Love this quilt!! I would love to have the instructions to this one, if you have them or know where I could get it!

Originally Posted by Pat G
I,too, have to have things either match or at least make sense when I first look at them. I find that if a quilt has too many diff. colors in it, I just pass it up without studying it to figure out the blocks.

Then I sort of broke my own rule. I started taking sm. discarded pcs. out of the waste basket. Just had a hard time tossing them out. I mean some very teeny pcs. Then I found a paper piecing pattern that was made from those "trash" pcs. of fabric. I've never posted a picture here but I will try. I call it my "Free Quilt". Even the sashing & backing were from my stash & had been there for sev. yrs. So it's all free for me. Pat
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Once I noticed a red stripe in ea. of the first few sections, I made a point of putting red in ea, additional section. That also predicted what I'd do for sashing & borders.
I had to be sure to make the last pc. the same color on 4 sections to create a center. I am so proud of myself. LOL.. I think this qualifies as controlled scrappy.
Pat
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM

OOhhh! That's gorgeous!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

I think the key for someone who likes to maintain some control over the scrappy look is to presort your scraps. Lights and darks, by color, by value....whatever works. I stack mine (the bag doesn't work for me) and pull from two stacks. If the two colors and/or patterns go together in the block, they will go with the other pieces in the quilt.

MOST importantly, don't judge the quilt by the pieces. Wait until it is all put together. It is usually greater than the sum of its parts.