Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't wrap my head around it!! >

Can't wrap my head around it!!

Can't wrap my head around it!!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Another way to do a controlled scrappy is to just use two colors. A two color quilt can be made with two fabrics or dozens of fabrics in just two colors. I did one in red and ivory for my daughter in law that was just stunning. It's one of the few quilts I don't have any pictures of. The pattern was a star block. Each block had two different reds and 3 different ivories.

It does help to get over the matchy-matchy when doing a scrap quilt to just divide into lights and darks and throw in a bag and sew on whatever comes out of the bag next wheather it matches or not. Clashing fabric combos *really* give a scrap quilt life and personality. Pick a light/dark pattern and go for it!
This is probably what I will try and come up with...a "scrappy" quilt in two colors...a light and a dark!
But now to pick a pattern or a block or blocks...
I guess that is why I give away, sell, or throw away my scraps.... (oh the horrors of this, I know)
kirsten
Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 AM

Maybe start out small. I made this small table topper out of scraps. Everything in it had been used in another project. It's 18" square. I chose mostly tone on tone fabrics and had to plan out how many I needed of each. Scraps? yes. Controlled? yes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-974.jpe  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:18 AM

We have to do what works for us. I made a full size "jar" quilt for my daughter. When my sister saw my beginnings of it she said, "That's not the way you make a jar quilt." I had used 12" wide strips of fabric and appliqued all different sizes of jars on it. Then it didn't seem big enough so I added a "wall" around my shelf. It's got family pictures, occasional tables with flower vases, all sorts of things on it. The top shelf has an empty space where a jar of frogs fell off and broke. It's laying on the "floor" all busted up with frogs jumping all over the shelves and jars. I did weird things like a ship in a bottle, time in a bottle, a cup of dice, a plate of candy, a basket of fruit. You can see it at: www.threadsoftimefab.com click on "project" and then scroll down until you see Alfreda H. Click on the picture to see the quilt larger.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
We have to do what works for us. I made a full size "jar" quilt for my daughter. When my sister saw my beginnings of it she said, "That's not the way you make a jar quilt." I had used 12" wide strips of fabric and appliqued all different sizes of jars on it. Then it didn't seem big enough so I added a "wall" around my shelf. It's got family pictures, occasional tables with flower vases, all sorts of things on it. The top shelf has an empty space where a jar of frogs fell off and broke. It's laying on the "floor" all busted up with frogs jumping all over the shelves and jars. I did weird things like a ship in a bottle, time in a bottle, a cup of dice, a plate of candy, a basket of fruit. You can see it at: www.threadsoftimefab.com click on "project" and then scroll down until you see Alfreda H. Click on the picture to see the quilt larger.
Your sister was wrong! That's the best jar quilt I've seen so far!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 AM

In answer to the question posed at the beginning of the thread, I've found that in many beautiful scrappy quilts, there is one or two fabrics that 'ties it all together' and gives the eye a place to rest.

In the quilt shown here, I've used off-white sashing rectangles to contrast against all the blues in the blocks. Also, the same yellow is in the center of each block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1042.jpe   attachment-1043.jpe  
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 AM

This is wonderful and really very beautiful! Great job Alfreda. :-)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 AM

Thank you. She loved it too when it was done. She said she'd never seen anyone do one like that.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Hey Jennie Penny, I love your quilt.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 AM

How awesome!! What an imagination!!! :D :D
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 AM

Here's another question about doing a scrappy!! Say when you do your lights, do you put allllll lights together or do you stick with say just whites or just creams? If you do say just whites, then do you just pick scraps in another color that either go better with the whites or have white in them and save the the stuff with creams for another project? If anyone has been following this, this is definitely part of my control issue? :lol: :lol: :lol: I definitely need HELP!!!! :roll: I don't know if even therapy or intervention at this point will help!!! :lol: :lol: