Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carol Doak >

Carol Doak

Carol Doak

Old 05-04-2015, 06:28 AM

I LOVE Carol Doak's book and instructions. Took a class years ago on PPing and threw away the block I never completed. Finally got Carol's book, tried it again and it was SO much easier! Her instructions and hints made the biggest difference.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM

is this the thread you were referring too?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t264672.html

Carol has 50 blocks, and gave them State names, but I have not seen anything about any of the blocks that indicates the design or colors actually mean anything. It was just cute way to name 50 blocks.

I'd love to see a set of state blocks that were connected to the state in some way - either design element or color.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM

did you say 50 stars or states????
Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by joycet View Post
A short while ago someone posted about a quilt that they had used a book by Carol Doak. It was about the states of the U.S. I've tried to find the book but so far I haven't been able to locate it. Does anyone know the exact title of the book? I looked in the archive and I"ve looked at Amazon, Ebay and at her site and can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance.

Joycet.
Carol Doak has her own yahoo group. I am sure you will find what you want there. Go to yahoo groups, and search for Carol Doak. Fun to visit.

Last edited by madamekelly; 05-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 AM

Thanks so much Macybaby!!!! Now I understand what it's about. Her star blocks are named after states!! I hand embroidered the state flowers one time and made a quilt. It was a very long process. LOL I won't say exactly how long....but from start to finish it was over 20 years. Of course I didn't work on it all the time. Just a few blocks here and a few blocks there.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by joycet View Post
A short while ago someone posted about a quilt that they had used a book by Carol Doak. It was about the states of the U.S. I've tried to find the book but so far I haven't been able to locate it. Does anyone know the exact title of the book? I looked in the archive and I"ve looked at Amazon, Ebay and at her site and can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance.

Joycet.
"50 FABULOUS PAPER-PIECED STARS" (I found this book in Branson, MO at Quilts & Quilts.)
Old 05-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Carol Doak is one of the best pp teachers there is. Her books are excellent. If you have a chance to watch one of her videos they are also good.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
I am making some of the stars from this book for a challenge at my local quilt group.
I am very pleased with the results and one suggestion I have is to have the book spiral bound -
the book then lies nice and flat - for tracing the patterns.
Good to know, but if you have the CD, doesn't it provide the foundations for printing?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 PM

Her Craftsy classes are really great too!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up Thank you VERY much!

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Some of her older cds won't open with the new version of Windows. You have to open the content file an select the exe file to open the software. This worked for me when I got a new laptop.

I hope this poster sees this (it's 2020). I have the older cd and a Windows 10 computer during the virus lockdown and really wanted to finish a lap quilt I had used two of Carol Doak's patterns for. Couldn't get it to work and finally googled my problem and this site showed up. Thank you, it worked! I really appreciate you taking the time to post your solution!