Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Carol Doak

Lightbulb Carol Doak

A short while ago someone posted about a quilt that they had used a book by Carol Doak. It was about the states of the U.S. I've tried to find the book but so far I haven't been able to locate it. Does anyone know the exact title of the book? I looked in the archive and I"ve looked at Amazon, Ebay and at her site and can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance.

Joycet.

Blog Entries
    I ordered the book off of Amazon a couple nights ago. It comes with a CD also.

I am making some of the stars from this book for a challenge at my local quilt group.
    I am very pleased with the results and one suggestion I have is to have the book spiral bound -
    the book then lies nice and flat - for tracing the patterns.

I have never been disappointed when buying any of Carol Doak's PP books.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I have that book. 2, 3, 4? years ago a thread about doing all 50 of them was started here. I got the first 15 done, then got side-tracked. Ever once in a while I think about getting it out and finishing it. I know there were some here that did get all of them done and made into a quilt. They are time consuming to do, but are really pretty.

There is also a CD that you purchase that enables you to print out the patterns any size. It's worth it if you plan to do the entire book. The CD that comes with the book explains her method of paper piecing. Have fun! You may want to follow the 50 Paper pieced star thread on the board. Some are beautiful.

Some of her older cds won't open with the new version of Windows. You have to open the content file an select the exe file to open the software. This worked for me when I got a new laptop.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

thanks everyone for getting back with me so quickly. I was under the impression the book was state blocks..not stars. I remember the lady saying she'd picked out the states a friend of hers had lived in and that's the blocks she was using to make the quilt. I thought she said it was a Carol Doak book. After reading her suggestion I thought I'd love to make a quilt using the states where I have lived. My dad was military so we lived in numerous ones. thanks again!!

There is a current Challenges/Contests going on this Board where we are doing the 50PP's - it is a lot of fun!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I LOVE Carol Doak's book and instructions. Took a class years ago on PPing and threw away the block I never completed. Finally got Carol's book, tried it again and it was SO much easier! Her instructions and hints made the biggest difference.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

is this the thread you were referring too?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t264672.html

Carol has 50 blocks, and gave them State names, but I have not seen anything about any of the blocks that indicates the design or colors actually mean anything. It was just cute way to name 50 blocks.

I'd love to see a set of state blocks that were connected to the state in some way - either design element or color.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

did you say 50 stars or states????
    Barb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joycet View Post
    A short while ago someone posted about a quilt that they had used a book by Carol Doak. It was about the states of the U.S. I've tried to find the book but so far I haven't been able to locate it. Does anyone know the exact title of the book? I looked in the archive and I"ve looked at Amazon, Ebay and at her site and can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance.

Joycet.
    Carol Doak has her own yahoo group. I am sure you will find what you want there. Go to yahoo groups, and search for Carol Doak. Fun to visit.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 05-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Thanks so much Macybaby!!!! Now I understand what it's about. Her star blocks are named after states!! I hand embroidered the state flowers one time and made a quilt. It was a very long process. LOL I won't say exactly how long....but from start to finish it was over 20 years. Of course I didn't work on it all the time. Just a few blocks here and a few blocks there.

Quote Originally Posted by joycet View Post

Joycet.
    "50 FABULOUS PAPER-PIECED STARS" (I found this book in Branson, MO at Quilts & Quilts.)

Blog Entries
    Carol Doak is one of the best pp teachers there is. Her books are excellent. If you have a chance to watch one of her videos they are also good.

Quote Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
    I am making some of the stars from this book for a challenge at my local quilt group.
    I am very pleased with the results and one suggestion I have is to have the book spiral bound -
    the book then lies nice and flat - for tracing the patterns.
    Good to know, but if you have the CD, doesn't it provide the foundations for printing?
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Her Craftsy classes are really great too!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus