Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:20 PM

I had cortisone injections in both hands & in 6 months had to have a repeat in my right hand and since all has been well. IMO it is worth a try & does not hurt. I would do this before considering surgery. Make sure you go to an orthopedic MD. Good Luck !
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
Lot of solutions. Start with an aspirin a day if okayed by doctor; wear the metal hand brace available at most stores in different sizes (get the right size). Wear it whenever you do any lifting, and if it feels comfortable enough, wear it to bed. Soaking your hands up to the elbows once a day for about 20 minutes. As a last resort, surgery. My husband has both hands done (one at a time) when he could no longer ride his Harley. This was 9 years ago.....took about 4 months to get really back into great shape. He is thrilled he had it done...now 66 years old. Also, if you use the internet much, do a search on the carpel tunnel and you can get a lot of education.
My son-in-law had both his hands done and he can't do any thing so my DD has to do it for him. He is off work for 4 weeks (on holiday pay) so at least he will get better over time as he drives a truck and deliver fuel to big companies' trucks.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 AM

I had it too many years ago, and I got a brace for night time and it helped alot, especially making it easier to sleep. But it doesn't take the pain away. So I tried accupuncture and it helped. It seemed to take about 3 times going...then I still wore the brace off and on, then it went away. No pain now at all. I also took ibuprophen every 4 hours when it was hurting. Then gradually only took 1 ibuprophen a day. Just gradually lessened. Over 3 months maybe. My husband had it just a couple years ago and he went for surgery. He got along fine but it did involve alot more therapy and of course cost. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM

I've had surgery in both hands, caused from work. My right hand was severe. Used braces at night and when the pain would wake me, I'd get up and hold my hand under running hot water, really helped the pain. Barb