Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy? >

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Carpal Tunnel & how do you deal with it? Wrist brace, surgery, therapy?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM

I had a plastic/hand surgeon do my surgery. He does many, many of them and has a wonderful reputation. He did my brother and others that I know. Be sure you find a doctor with plenty of experience.

Originally Posted by dublb
WOW Ya'll are soooo helpful! I see the Dr. again on Fri. & I think that I'll ask him to send me to a neurologist. I see my Chiropractor for my back on Mon. so I'll ask him about my hand then. My biggest fear is about hand quilting. It's my favorite part. I bought the B6 today, thanks! The brace does seem to be making a big difference. Again Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 AM

Just an FYI here, for those of you willing to try the B6 and Super B Complex (BTW make sure to take the Super B Complex, the B Complex is not as effective and you can save money and take 2-50mg of the B6) they must be taken in conjunction with each other and daily no missed doses. Honestly it really does work and would you rather not take these pills than to have surgery?? I was one of those that the dr said I was getting nerve damage as my hands were falling asleep while I was driving. Again the best of luck to all of you who do try this first.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 AM
nab

I had my surgery done oh probably 30 years ago and have never regreted it for a minute. I do not have to waste my precious time with all that other stuff.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM

My feelings exactly!!!

Originally Posted by nab
I had my surgery done oh probably 30 years ago and have never regreted it for a minute. I do not have to waste my precious time with all that other stuff.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM

My doctor said surgery is the only option but I'm not rushing into that. 3 weeks ago I went for a swim in a hot artesian pool and I haven't felt it since. We have quite a few of these in our country and I think it must be to do with the minerals in the water. My hand feels great. Many years ago we were camping in outback northern territory and my daughter got burnt on her arm with boiling water. Next day we went swimming in a hot artesian pool and her burn disappeared.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Do any of ya'll have it & what did ya do about it.
Oh, yeah -- I think that's a loaded question. We probably ALL have it to some degree, as much as we repetitively use our hands. Braces, ice, anti-inflammatories, intermittent activity/rest, try everything suggested to see what works best for you. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM

[quote=KyKat]
Do any of ya'll have it & what did ya do about it.
Oh, yeah -- I think that's a loaded question. We probably ALL have it to some degree, as much as we repetitively use our hands.

LOL- Your so right! If some of us don't they will!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 PM

My mom taught me a spot on my forearm that is an accupressure point. It has taken care of my problem! If I've overdone it, I need t use it but then I'm good for quite some time!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
My mom taught me a spot on my forearm that is an accupressure point. It has taken care of my problem! If I've overdone it, I need t use it but then I'm good for quite some time!
Where is that spot?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Just inside of the elbow, right about where the hair line is, about an inch or so from the bend. When you put pressure on it with a couple of fingers and have the right place, your fingers (on the arm being pressed) will feel a tiny tingly. Hold for a few minutes and repeat as needed. Hard to explain but it worked for me!