Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpenters Star pattern...using a 10" Layer Cake? >

Carpenters Star pattern...using a 10" Layer Cake?

Carpenters Star pattern...using a 10" Layer Cake?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I made a scrappy with lots of browns/tans/black and it turned out nice too I think...it actually came in a kit I bought at a cute little shop in Grand Rapids, MI.[ATTACH=CONFIG]422553[/ATTACH] Super easy to make, you'll love it!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 AM

I love the scrappy Carpenter's Star!!! I have made one similar to the brown one that is more controlled scrappy, but I think my next one will be more scrappy like this one...maybe playing in my sewing room this weekend!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Funny how easy it is to get into a mind set. I would have said three colors is optimum, but absolutely love both the scrappy and the brown controlled scrappy. Is it true that you just have to keep in mind where the dark and where the light goes?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Carpenter's Star is one of my favorite patterns. I made mine using 3 different fabrics. It came out lovely. Usually I don't make a pattern twice, but Carpenter's Star is one that I will make again. Calico Carriage Quilt Designs has a great Carpenter's Star pattern. They have awesome designs. Check out their website. I have ordered several of her patterns.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM

I am working on this same pattern with a red and yellow star in the middle and blue and orange around it, with white background, just got it ready to put together, I have a small request. Would someone please write and tell me where to start putting it together????
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I am working on this same pattern with a red and yellow star in the middle and blue and orange around it, with white background, just got it ready to put together, I have a small request. Would someone please write and tell me where to start putting it together????
The way I did it was I first decided on what I wanted as a finished size. Then it's 8 blocks by 8 blocks. I cut the squares out, did my half triangle blocks and then laid out the block pattern. I started in the left hand corner and sewed the first 2 blocks together and then the next 2 in the next row to the right. After sewing 2 pair, I sewed the 2 pairs together making sure the seams matched. I did that the rest of block. I then matched the 4 patches together.
Some people do it by strips sewing one line of 8 at a time and then sewing the strips together. I have a harder time with matching the seams that way. For me I can make corrections better if I'm matching fewer seams at a time.
That's how I did it, but perhaps there's a better way?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wendys Quilts View Post
I have a layer cake that I am wanting to use. I was wondering if anyone has used a layer cake to make a Carpenters Star? If so, did you have to cut your 10" down to the size what the pattern says, or did you use the 10"? It seems like this parttern could use a layer cake, but I cant seem to figure out how to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wendy
Wendy you might try the Missour Star Quilt tutorials. Jenny is always using layer cakes, charm paks, etc. to make different patterns, I can not recall if she has done a Carpenter's Star or not. I really like her easy tutorials.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 AM

Will this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkm3nCferp4
Old 07-07-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I started in the upper left hand corner laying it out row by row according to layout instructions on a design wall. Then I sewed blocks in row across and then the rows together. It can be a little tricky getting all blocks in the correct order to get the secondary designes. This may be especially tru if doing a scrappy. Show us the finished quilt! Good luck and have fun!.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 AM

I agree with you Peggi. Yours is beautiful. I love scrappy also.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I disagree. I've seen some beautiful Carpenter's Wheel quilts that were scrappy. However, they DID have one thing in common - a unified background, such as all black or all white.