Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 AM

When my mother passed away a few years ago I lined the top of the casket with part of a quilt and made a pillow case for the pillow under her head. They were buried with her.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
One of the most beautiful quilts i ever saw at a quilt show was a coffin quilt made by a woman in the 1700's. That was the day I fell in love with crazy quilts -- it was a life quilt. Absolutely gorgeous.
Sorry just had to correct a typo in my previous message. It was a life quilt not lift quilt. That's what I get for trying to type at 4:00 a.m.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 AM

This IS a very thought provoking subject. I think I'll start on my "life" quilt this week.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 AM

There is a lady in out Quilt Guild that has done this. It is beautiful. She did it in different crosses. It is a sight to be seen. Her kids were not happy, but if that is what she wants that is her decision.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM

My sister-in- law was a marvelous quilter and at the time of her passing we hung selected quilts about the room for the visitation and yes, one on the casket that was a particular favorite of hers. She had flowers also but that was to honor her love of roadside wild flowers.

The sanctuary of the church was also decorated with her quilts and still more were in the fellowship hall for the meal after the funeral service.

So many folks were surprised at the number of quilts she had completed and others brought quilts she had made for them to the church. Her body of work and gifts to others became her memorial.

I would make the quilt and let your family know of your desires.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Our quilt group has made a hospice quilt that the home uses over the body of a loved one that has died when they are taken from their rooms to the morgue of funeral home. It is an awful thing to witness as a family member and we have had heartfelt thanks from the hospice nurses and families. It is much more dignified and the love involved is appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
My mother has made a quilt for each of her grandchildren and gives it to them as a wedding gift. When my nephew passed away, he was wrapped in his quilt and it went with him. When my DH passed away, I did not put flowers on his casket but instead items from his Corvette hobby such as club jacket, favorite hats, etc. Even had his Corvette at the visitation. Since his death, I have made a quilt from his shirts and now think it would be a great idea to have that draped over my casket instead of flowers. This board has given me so many ideas and I just love this one.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 AM

I love this idea, but when you have a large family ,who gets the quilt.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 AM

Great idea. I would much rather a quilt than a spray of flowers on my coffin. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:14 AM

I think flowers are a total waste of money. Beautiful yes,but at todays prices, ugh. Put the money into donations. Anyway, I will have a flag draped over my coffin because I'm a veteran but I want my body snuggled in a homemade quilt, instead of "cheap" cold satin. The history of "coffin quilts" is amazing. They used quilts in past times. Did you know that they ran out of coffins during the "Battle of Gettysburg" and used donated quilts to wrap and bury the soldiers in. Morbid but very interesting to investigate.