Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
What size would be appropriate? Isn't that what used to be called a Pall?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Using quilts instead of flowers is a sweet idea. I have been to services where a quilt was used on the casket. It is personal and great show of love. The flowers are gone in a day or two and are so expensive. I have decided to make the one that I want used for my funeral.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 AM

When my Father died, the mortician showed us caskets and then told us he wouldn't sell us one. He told my brother (a cabinet maker)to go home and build one himself for his father, and he did as he was told.
As a covering in the casket was a quilt my Mother had made
Since then my brother had made a number of caskets. He made one for my husband and again a quilt I had made was used inside.
Our mortician said the flowers will be on the casket just to carry it a very short distance into church and the people will already be inside, so they won't even see flowers. Once inside the church the casket is covered with a white cloth until he service ends.
I suspect my husband's family may have felt it strange not having flowers.
My feelings: please give me flowers when I can still enjoy them!
I think your idea of a quilt covering the casket is great
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM

I always told my DH, not to put any more flowers on my casket than he gave me while I was living, so my arrangement would be very small. LOL But, I really love the idea of a quilt. I could do whatever I want. I have told my children and grands, that when I die, instead of doing a picture thingy, they can just bring all, or at least some, of the quilts that I have made or given to them. That is how I want to be remembered.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM

I make Memory Quilts and several have been used on caskets and then taken home with the family. I put fabric photos of the person and the family, and whatever else they want.
I keep several quilts already made on hand so I have to only add the photos I put onto fabric.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pinecone
Originally Posted by Willa
Originally Posted by New Quilter
Here in So. Jersey, most people choose to send most of the baskets of flowers to area nursing homes (as well as to churches if it'll be close to a Sunday service)...so at least the flowers are given the chance to be enjoyed be others
I always thought that was a nice idea also till mom was in a nursing home. The residents, whenever they saw flowers, would ask who died and then they got really sad.
Nursing homes in my area don't care for funeral flowers for that reason too.piney
It's done in this area too ... though the homes take the bouquets apart, and just put them in vases as cut flowers. This way they can most always have fresh flowers out and about ... for free!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM

My mother passed away in June at age (one month shy of) 99, and we used one of her quilts on her casket. Why not? It was something she enjoyed doing and showing off, and everyone enjoyed looking at it much more than another bunch of flowers.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by catmcclure
That's a great idea. In some European countries, the custom was to buy caskets when you got married. The caskets were used as furniture pieces (like a large chest at the end of the bed) until needed. Then you only had to buy the casket liner for the funeral.
OMG ... it sounds like the traditional cedar lined Hope Chest that young women packed full of things before they were married. Interesting ..... my MIL always had her cedar chest at the foot of her bed! :)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM

I have a friend who has already made her pall quilt. At first I thought it was strange but after thinking about it, I realized it was a wonderful testament to her gift of quiltmaking.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:49 AM

My mother passed away in 1989. She was a hand quilter and had just finished a "Southern Belle" quilt. It had lots of hand embroidery, and of course the hand quilting. Mama spent lots of hours working on this quilt. She had already showed me the type of casket she wanted. We went to a funeral one day and she whispered to me, that was the type she wanted when the time came. The lid was one piece, that showed the complete body. Normally, they put a white cloth on the body from the waist down. I did get Mama one like this and in place of the white cloth, I had them wrap Mama in her new quilt, from the waist down. It was beautiful....... We buried Mama with her quilt.