Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
caution - extreme shrinkage! >

caution - extreme shrinkage!

caution - extreme shrinkage!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM

I simply do not buy fabric for quilting at Joanns any more. I have had too much trouble with fading and shrinking.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

one question...why the need to wash material in hot water?...would I be washing the quilt in hot waater later on down the line....sorry....still new at this...
thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM

I get flat sheets from Walmart. I find the cheapest storebrand and they are packaged individually so I don't have to buy a set. The cheapest have a fewer thread count and are more like quilt fabric. I even found a decorator line with bright colors that perfectly matched a bright aqua that I used for my DD's quilt. I hand quilted a queen size before I "knew better". It seems they were around $6 or $7. If I were trying for a competition quilt, of course, I would spend a lot more for backing. The other advantage of the sheet is that I don't have to be so worried about seams being straight. I always find that difficult with batting sticking out around the edges before I trim it.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

For quilt backs do you get the 100% cotton sheets or the poly/cotton?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM

I always get 100% cotton. I feel it is more absorbent and comfortable - unless color is an issue and then I weigh the advantages of each.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Don't forget to pre-wash sheets too, if you're using them for backing! They also can shrink badly.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
LQS - This is a new name for me. Are they an online store too.
LQS= local quilt shop
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator

for those who've jumped into the middle of this, or who have gone straight to the last page, pistol packin' mama did tell us that the store manager offered to take back the fabric.

i'm not clear about whether she chose to return it or keep it, but she was offered the option.

please remember to think before you post. not every individual joann's store (or any other chain store) is exactly like every other. neither is every LQS exactly like all the others. different people run and work in each store. please don't judge, trash or bash all of Joann's (or chains or LQS) based on your individual experience.

"quality" is a subjective term and a personal assessment. it's one thing to acknoweldge your blessings and to say you are able to indulge your personal preference to buy expensive fabrics. i'm sure everyone is very happy for you and would love a chance to roll around and shop in your stash. however, when you trash [for example] joann's fabrics you are, in effect, telling people who do buy and use them that they are either stupid or have bad taste or both. that is unkind, not necessary, and not true.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Sorry for you. Sounds like another good reasons to always pre-wash all fabrics.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Yikes!!! I know it is taboo, but thinking a king sized flat sheet at about $12 is looking pretty good to me, no shrinkage, no shifting. I know I am about to get kicked off here, and I really like the board. Oh well, let's see what happens.
i use flat sheets all the time...and i like to get them @ the thrift store if i can...not that i'm cheap or anything lol