Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
caution - extreme shrinkage! >

caution - extreme shrinkage!

caution - extreme shrinkage!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM

that's not being cheap -- it's thrifty & smart because sheets from the thrift shop have already done their shrinking!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mz.D
one question...why the need to wash material in hot water?...would I be washing the quilt in hot waater later on down the line....sorry....still new at this...
thanks
i always wash everything in hot water & dry on cotton... because most of my quilts are for the grandbabies, who are going to spit up, spill and otherwise get crap (pun intended) on it, so it needs to be able to withstand hot water..

also, i just finished up a downy quilt, and they tell you right in the instructions not to even used monofiliment thread, because it melts in the hospital laundry equipment.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM

I pre-wash all fabrics in cold water, very occasionally maybe tepid water (to just get the chill off if it is winter) and will fit in a sink. I don't tumble dry fabrics either - I have never been told whether or not to use hot or cold water nor have I seen it written on fabric bolts. Cold water is recommended in many books. All of the comments received here are very interesting and useful, so my eyes will be more open next time I buy backing fabrics; however, I used good fabrics for quilts 25 years ago before wide backing fabrics were known, but now use sheets mostly, because of ready sizes and cost.

That was certainly a lot of shrinkage and hope your quilt turns out just right in the end.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

wow that is a whole lot of shrinking. dose fabric normally shrink that much. so sorry. God bless. Penny
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM

I bought 108, wide fabric from HANCOCKS of Paducah and had minimal shrink-

age. My daughter wanted a special backing on her quilt, it was only available at

their on line store.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM

I've not seen 108" material in Joann's here. But I would of taken it back and gotten my money back and bought online if you wanted it to be one piece. I have sewn two seams for backing, making three panels the back and it all blends in. :)
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM

I use sheets all the time and never had a problem with handquilting. When I use quilt fabric backing is usually the same as the front so I can reverse the quilt if I want. Glenn
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM

that is why I don't like JoAnn's fabric, it is too loosely woven... and I won't buy fabric there.- Hey Gloria, no offense...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
I've never heard of fabric shrinking that much. Of course I don't wash in hot water either.

I'd take it back with your receipt showing the amount you bought and show the manager. If you don't get results, ask for the dist. mgr.'s address and write them.
skip going to Joanns for the refund...after all, they are only the "messenger" you need to go to the maker of that fabric...that is really unsat for shrinkage of any kind....

Joann's does not MAKE the fabric..they just agree to sell it for a manufacturer...how do the store people know how the fabric is going to work out...they don't..... so write the manufacturer and then boycott them!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
for those who've jumped into the middle of this, or who have gone straight to the last page, pistol packin' mama did tell us that the store manager offered to take back the fabric.

i'm not clear about whether she chose to return it or keep it, but she was offered the option.

please remember to think before you post. not every individual joann's store (or any other chain store) is exactly like every other. neither is every LQS exactly like all the others. different people run and work in each store. please don't judge, trash or bash all of Joann's (or chains or LQS) based on your individual experience.

"quality" is a subjective term and a personal assessment. it's one thing to acknoweldge your blessings and to say you are able to indulge your personal preference to buy expensive fabrics. i'm sure everyone is very happy for you and would love a chance to roll around and shop in your stash. however, when you trash [for example] joann's fabrics you are, in effect, telling people who do buy and use them that they are either stupid or have bad taste or both. that is unkind, not necessary, and not true.
Ditto.......This is an old post.