Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt >

Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt

Celtic Solstice King Size Quilt

Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 PM

I made the smaller size and I did plain borders. It was so labor intense and detailed that I'd need 50 gazillion dollars to consider selling it! I'll be watching too see what others suggest just for curiosity's sake.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

If you are willing to sell it - but would much rather keep it - put a price tag of $10,000 on it.

Tell the potential buyer that it is "art" and that you are attached to it.

You could also tell them about the pattern and where they could get the stuff to make their very own - along with your estimate of actual cost of materials and times you spent on it. If they don't have the tools and machines you have, you could mention what they would cost, too.

I see paintings shown on Antiques Road Show that are valued at very high values - and I would bet most of them took a lot less time to paint than it does to make a quilt!

I think that if the item is/was NOT commissioned and the price agreed on ahead of time - one can ask what one wants - even if it seems unreasonable to a potential buyer.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 AM

Maybe get it appraised?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 AM

I looked up a photo of that quilt pattern and 'counted' the pieces in one that I assume was a king-sized quilt. Well over 2,300 pieces for the quilt top. If you consider the cost of the fabrics, batting, thread, backing, labor, and LAQ'ing by the simplest calculation, it's worth using a pricing template. There's a website I found that has one, which I can PM you if you'd like. Once I started using that, even a 50" square, in a very simple pattern, was no less than $250. I was surprised.
Prior to that, I usually priced quilts at my cost outlay, without any value applied toward my time spent making it because people might not consider the quilt affordable. When is that justified? Using a cost template is fairer to both you and them.
Think of what it costs for other 'services' based on time/supplies/skill: hair stylist, car repair, piano teacher, gardener, housekeeper, etc. and then consider what a comparable cost of your labor/materials/talent warrant. If you decide to price it below actual cost/value, be sure there's an appraisal of what the true value is to go with that quilt.
Or you could have a person buy all fabrics and supplies needed for the pattern, you put it together for them (determine an agreeable rate for your labor), send it out for LAQ'ing and binding they pay for directly, and then deliver the finished quilt. Then, there's no question as to the cost and value.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 AM

I would say at least $1,200.00. Check the Amish quilt sites for prices. Even though they hand quilt. The LAer put a lot of time into the quilting. I usually tell the ones that ask for a quilt I don't sell my quilts. I will help you make one or buy one at JC Penny's or Walmart. Luann
Old 09-28-2014, 08:48 AM

Give her the price,and then offer to teach her the basics of quilt making instead! If she understands the value before she starts she may put more value on her output. I think that is why there are so many unfinished projects, people don't value their time and materials. What a waste.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 AM

I feel compelled to comment. Those of you who sell their hand made quilts for less that the fabric cost in some cases, are giving their customers a "gift". If that is your desired result so be it. No one gives me gifts. The last baby quilt i gifted, cost me almost $300.00 just for fabric and batting and quilting. It was for my stepDGD's baby--my GGD so I wanted to give her something nice. Believe me she was delighted with it, and I think it will be passed down to her Grands many years from now.
Sue
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Its very hard to put a price on something you really don't want to get rid of .. So don't ...offer to show her how to make it. Tell her to buy the materials then come over for a few hours each weekend and make a quilt in her colors. Then she will understand why you cannot part with it ...
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 AM

Unless you made the quilt with the intention of selling it, which I don't think you did. Just say it's not for sale. You are allowed to say no.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM

At the Sisters Outdoor quilt show, some of the quilts on display had price tags. If I judge by the prices I saw on those quilts (all very well made, nice quilts), and the size of your quilt, I would say $1,000 is on the low side. I think, in your shoes, I'd ask more in the $1,500-$1,750 range, if not even higher!!