Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Challenge-embrace yourself! >

Challenge-embrace yourself!

Challenge-embrace yourself!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM

I always try to be organized, but alas, I just can't seem to stay that way!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM

OMG....we are polar opposites! My quilting "area" is my dining room table...which we use everyday!! I have several bags of fabric, each a separate project, and keep adding as I see quilts or wall hangings I want to do. The bags reside in my three season porch, along with my sewing machine...I haul it in every nite!! I admire your ability to organize! I'm "organized" in my head...I know where everything is and what order I want to do things. I'd love my own space - but I'd never put anything away!!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM

I've started donating my scraps. Finally realized that I was never going to make anything with them, so out they went. My home was much neater after that. For about a week.

I'm definitely not type 'A' about my quilting mess - I like to be surrounded by it - up to a point. When that point is reached, I go on a binge clean! I sort of have a sorting system, but it's been defeated since I'm real good about taking things out, but not so good about putting them away!

Seems like my quilting style is very simple, usually 2 - 4 fabrics, most often design the quilt top as I go. I suspect that the use of only a few fabrics is partly because I am 'color challenged'. While I see color, I don't perceive them all the way most people do. Some of the quilts in quilting magazines and books look awful to me because I can't see the difference in some of the fabrics. Before I learned I was partially color blind, I used to think to myself, "What were they thinking?" Now I know it's me!!!

I absolutely love using panels. Have never seen a panel quilt that I didn't like.

My specialty seems to be boy quilts - any age. Told my youngest that I had a 'rep' for them. She asked if that meant I preferred boys to girls. It's not that at all. I noticed that the majority of charity quilts made at my guilds were made from girly fabric, so I decided to focus on boy quilts. I do have 4 grandsons and one granddaughter (she wants a snake quilt). That might have influenced me!

Creativity: My niece (7 at the time) picked two fabrics for her first project, fabrics that I didn't think would work. She insisted. It's good she did, because it was adorable! She taught me a lesson that was worth learning that day! Since then, I try not to limit myself about fabric choices.

For me, the most important aspect of making a quilt is that I enjoy making it. If I don't like the fabrics I'm working with, the quilt won't get done. That means the fabrics go in the scrap bag. The exception is when I grab a kit (made up by my guild) for a charity quilt. Those I finish, but try to add a striking backing fabric and binding. I recently made one that I hated 'til the bitter end. Then I found a stripe (in the stash) that went really well with it and used it for a border. What a difference that border made!

And, like most quilters I know, I haven't made a quilt for myself. I enjoy making them, but haven't yet made a 'keeper' for me. Almost kept one, but donated it for a fundraiser.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM

I thought about it, too. For about 1 second!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM

All good, manageable ideas!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Omg? My first problem is who am I? How do I find out what type I am. Help.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by aunt eunice View Post
I am messy when I'm working on a project but have only that project out on my work table/design wall. I have two large chests of drawers in my sewing room, one for quilting and one for machine embroidery/garment sewing. Every drawer is labeled with the contents. My quilting stash is ordered either by color or by fabric collection. When I purchase fabrics from a collection, I have a specific pattern already selected and keep a list of what I have and when I purchased it. I store the pattern with the collection in a labeled container. These containers are on a shelf in my sewing room. My scraps, however, are a mess. I'm not much of a scrap quilter but one day, I might be.

Wow you are organized in your buying and storage! I have most of my fabrics on storage boards and in a lawyers bookcase. I love walking into my quilting studio and seeing that bookcase! I just wish I could keep everything else so neat...I'm working on it though!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
I like the phrase, "embrace yourself" as "life" knocked me hard (three special needs older teens/adults issues, husband's retirement and cancer) I found the life changes carried to all aspects of my life, even broken fingers - I became disorganized everywhere - my kitchen, as a teacher, every room in my home, my computer, and of course, quilting. In an attempt to become more organized, I ended up in three rooms, and even my bedroom. My sewing machine BROKE and could not be fixed. I GRIEVED. I look and felt like a hoarder or a Survivor in a MAJOR STORM. Needless to say, productivity became LOW and quilting HAPPINESS took a nose dive last year. It is important to take care of myself, to heal myself, and to "embrace" life's JOYS - quilting. Since the holiday break from teaching, I have started TAKING MY LIFE BACK - QUILTING. I know myself. I need to be in one room; LESS FABRIC STASH, LESS BOOKS. Donating to several groups have been helpful. I started too many projects - completion is important to me and learning to stay focused, to say NO to all those BLOCK OF THE MONTHS starting. I am only signed up for the 2013 CRAFTY class and this is GOOD.

As I have been cleaning out my computer, I came across the "Power of Ten" guide; I have this one printed and read it each day as I am taking better care of myself and "embracing ME."
THE POWER OF TEN
Judy Hall, Texas QuiltworksThe "Power of 10" in quilting is a simple way to complete those projects we want to finish.
  1. First, simply find the projects that you are no longer interested in completing and pass them on to someone who would love it as much as you once did.
  2. Second, list "10" projects that you would like to complete. Now remember "Only 10" projects are to be on the list.
  3. Third, begin working on the projects on the list and spend three hours toward completing it.
  4. Fourth, keep a list of projects and the hours worked.
  5. Fifth, once three hours are spent on a project move to the next. A quilter's interest wanes and is usually spent after three hours. Now if a project requires two to four hours it doesn't matter. Simply finish the project. Feel good about finishing it.
  6. Sixth, find another project and add it to the list. Remember, only Ten Projects are your focus.
  7. Seventh, continue to rotate the projects you are working on.
  8. Eighth step is to list the supplies needed to finish your projects.
  9. Ninth would be to shop at Texas Quiltworks (or your local quilt shop) for items to finish your projects. Local quilt shops need your support more than ever in today's economy.
  10. ...and Tenth, the 'Power of Ten' becomes reality when you are able to share your project. Be sure to share your quilt at guild meetings, quilt shops, family and friends. Remember by showing your finished project you are inspiring someone else to finish a project."
Carol,

I'm so sorry for all that has been happening in your life! My past 2 years have been pretty crummy too...I'd rather not go into much detail except to say that marriages can survive an affair but it's a LOT of hard work! During this I have also had much good going on in my life...the birth of 3 (yes 3) new grandchildren in 2 years is at the top of the happy list. I just decided that this year is the year to embrace myself...I've spent so much time and energy on others and honestly I know I still will but I NEED to spend time on me too and let the LORD do His work in others...

Thank you for sharing...

Diannia