Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Challenge-embrace yourself!

Challenge-embrace yourself!

Hi,

I'd like to issue a challenge to you all...to embrace yourself! Embrace who you are! Here is what I'm talking about. I love to quilt. We have turned our formal living room into my quilting studio. It is a wonderful place for me to retreat and create. I have decided that this year I will embrace making what makes me happy...first thing I had to do was decide what I like! Well, if you took a look at the books and patterns I gravitate to your see that I like scrappy, 30's, civil war, and applique quilts! I am also a type "A" personality. I don't function well in disorder. I like lists and knowing where everything is. Clutter=caos for me so I decided to take all this in mind and took my 3 tubs of scaps and cut them down to either 2 1/2" strips or 5" squares. Everything scrap of scrap that was too thin, I didn't like, or didn't cut to those sizes went to my DQF yesterday (2 trashbags full). I'm almost done cutting the leftovers down to size. I have been buying fabrics for a couple of quilts (red/white or cream/blue and black/white/red) and these collections were just in bags in hiding behind my midarm...now I have 2 drawers to store them in properly. The 2 1/2"strips and 5" squares will be stored in a special 3 drawer unit READY for when I want to pull out 1 of my 2 1/2" strip or nickel quilt books and make a scrappy!!! It was really hard for me to give away all of the scraps but I decided that I could either keep them and feel so overwhelmed I didn't get anything done with them or pass them on to someone that will use them and keep and organize what I would use. I think that by figuring out who I was and what I like I have found what will work for me! Sooo my challenge to you is to figure out who you are? Do you like to have all your "stuff" out so you can see it? Do you like it all tucked away out of sight? Do you like to be messy while working then put it away before starting another project? What style of quilts do you like? Does your fabric and sorting/storing system support this? What can you do to get it to work better for you? EMBRACE who you are! Stop fighting yourself!!!

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

I am messy while I am creating. I do put things away once the project is done. I try to have my things put away in some sort of order...but even that doesn't mean I'll be able to find what I am looking for easily. I know who I am and I am thankful for the studio that I have.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

NYGAL-isn't it nice to know who you are, what you like and have a place to do it in??? We are soo blessed!

Diannia

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    I'd like to issue a challenge to you all...to embrace yourself! Embrace who you are!
    I have decided that this year I will embrace making what makes me happy...first thing I had to do was decide what I like. Sooooo my challenge to you is to figure out who you are:
    Do you like to have all your "stuff" out so you can see it? Hmmmm, seems so, but I hate how "messy" the room feels!!
    Do you like it all tucked away out of sight? I wish! Maybe if there were room to put it all away.....
    Do you like to be messy while working then put it away before starting another project? Not messy while working, but it seems to be left over from starting!
    What style of quilts do you like? I am a currently a changeling, I like too many things!
    Does your fabric and sorting/storing system support this? Hmmm, I wish more of it were behind closed doors than in neatly shelved clear boxes.
    What can you do to get it to work better for you? THIS, Diannia, is where you have spoken loudest to me! I have thought about this, but keep being stuck on what is rather than what can be, or should be, and that will be my challenge for this year.
    EMBRACE who you are! Stop fighting yourself!!! For years I have followed this dictum with my hair; how could I have so missed it with my passion!! Diannia
    Thank you for issuing this challenge. I hope many of us take the idea to heart in the coming months.
    Jan in VA

Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I am messy while I am creating. I do put things away once the project is done. I try to have my things put away in some sort of order...but even that doesn't mean I'll be able to find what I am looking for easily. I know who I am and I am thankful for the studio that I have.

You and me both.

I think entering a new year must influence our thinking because I am focused on this also. Michael's had nice 10 drawer rolling storage for 50% off and tomorrow and Saturday I'm doing a major clean out and reorganization of my sewing room.

I have always been messy when working and in between projects.A lot of it was because I worked in a tiny corner from a little desk. I love all kinds of patchwork and scrappy quilts. I keep telling myself that when I am moved into my new place next week and have a sewing room, I will be neater and more organized. I am fooling myself and am happy being the disorganized disaster I am!! I just love to work away making quilts to give to family and friends....I guess if anyone doesn't approve of my mess, they don't have to come by and see it!! (Or accept one of my quilts!)LOL..

I love having options...so most is displayed neatly on shelves, and the rest is in drawers, sorted by color and sizes.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Oh how I wish I could be neater.. I do clean up after a major project... its very therapudic before going onto the next. Its become just a part of the process I need to go through.
    Part of my resolution for this year is to spend that 10 minutes at the end of the day to do "surface" tidying.

I'm still plugging away at getting my 2 1/2" strips and 5" squares done. I'm almost there! I sorted them out by light/med/darks and in my plastic 3 drawer storage that's under my sewing table I have the following:

Top drawer-2 1/2" lights
    Middle drawer-2 1/2" darks and mediums
    Bottom drawer-5" squares sorted light to dark and also left over bindings and my Christmas 2 1/2" strips (I'd put them with the others but know I want to make a Christmas quilt using them so want them sorted seperately).

I just have a few more pieces to cut down to 5" squares. I got an Acucut-Go last year and boy has it made short work of my cutting!!!!

Diannia

Now you have me thinking!!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Blog Entries
    That's a lot to think about, especially the part about giving away fabric to make room for what I have. I am of the messy while working frame of mind. I will try to clean up better between quilts. Maybe when I clean the machine, I'll clean the room.

Jan, I'm just letting my hair go gray so I understand embracing who you are in that respect.

Yes, we are all blessed to even be in the choas of our never ending fabric.
    will quilt 4EVER

I like having tidy shelves, all separated by color/subject, etc. The quilt room gets messy and I periodically clean it up, between projects - and am thankful that I have the messes, because it means I'm enjoying my room. I'm still sorting my scraps and cutting down to pre determined sizes (thank you, Bonnie Hunter!!). Gradually making progress, and its amazing just how much I can use from those precut pieces and it doesn't seem my supplies are dropping. Each time I make a quilt from those precuts, I'm thankful that I had them prepared -- it makes putting a quilt top come together so quickly.

Blog Entries
    Am trying to resist the desire to keep buying fabric. I identified the quilt patterns for which I already have fabric and now have them on my "list" to complete this year. Writing this down and then being able to "check it off" is a huge rush!! When quilting a project, my sewing room looks like someone set off an M-80. I thoroughly de-clutter and clean the room prior to starting the next project!! I often photograph the room with all its crumbs and put this picture along with the picture of the completed project. This is so fun!!

I am messy when I'm working on a project but have only that project out on my work table/design wall. I have two large chests of drawers in my sewing room, one for quilting and one for machine embroidery/garment sewing. Every drawer is labeled with the contents. My quilting stash is ordered either by color or by fabric collection. When I purchase fabrics from a collection, I have a specific pattern already selected and keep a list of what I have and when I purchased it. I store the pattern with the collection in a labeled container. These containers are on a shelf in my sewing room. My scraps, however, are a mess. I'm not much of a scrap quilter but one day, I might be.

Blog Entries
    I can take a little clutter if I am working on a project. But I don't store lots of scraps. I cut them into squares and strips and use them on scrappy quilts and some times in borders depending on what I am doing. The squares that don't get used will be stored in a pretty metal tin or plastic box labeled according to size. My sewing room is only a 8x10 so I can't let things get out of control. I am always looking for new ways to store things so things won't get out of control. My biggest down fall is quilt books I love to look at them over and over again and I know I will never live long enough to make half of the one I love.

Blog Entries
    I will have to rethink this. Not sure who I am right now. A little over a yr ago I had a great guest -sewing room then our som moved in and after almost a yr he decided that he would close in the front porch for my room. It is a great room 12 by 16 but even though it is closed in now and all of my things are there the windows are not in yet and the inside walls are not in so therefore, I cannot put my things away properly so it is a challenge to go there and work. Just ranting I guess.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I can be messy when working on a project. But am very organized with the projects themselves . All parts in labeled zip locks. All the parts of a project in one case. My 2013 goal is to cut up scraps into squares for some type of scrappy quilt(s). The really messy part is just housework. I just can't seem to pick up after myself. My brain is always off somewhere quilting.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I'm one of those people who gets things completely messy and out of order before it will get any cleaner. I like when stuff is clean and put away, but when I'm making something it becomes a big mess. I have to have my stuff in front of me. It honestly drives me crazy, but it drives me crazy when I can't see everything and/ or I've put something away I need and I can't find it easily. Since I'm a student still living with my parents, my room doubles as a lot of things, including my sewing room. And due to this unlimited space my fabric is mostly out in the open. I have a couple of plastic boxes that I sit up against my wall and then I have one under-the-bed-box.

My life would be sooooo much easier if I had a way to keep my fabric tucked away and organized, out of sight, till I needed it. But unfortunately, I have no extra room for that luxury.

I like the phrase, "embrace yourself" as "life" knocked me hard (three special needs older teens/adults issues, husband's retirement and cancer) I found the life changes carried to all aspects of my life, even broken fingers - I became disorganized everywhere - my kitchen, as a teacher, every room in my home, my computer, and of course, quilting. In an attempt to become more organized, I ended up in three rooms, and even my bedroom. My sewing machine BROKE and could not be fixed. I GRIEVED. I look and felt like a hoarder or a Survivor in a MAJOR STORM. Needless to say, productivity became LOW and quilting HAPPINESS took a nose dive last year. It is important to take care of myself, to heal myself, and to "embrace" life's JOYS - quilting. Since the holiday break from teaching, I have started TAKING MY LIFE BACK - QUILTING. I know myself. I need to be in one room; LESS FABRIC STASH, LESS BOOKS. Donating to several groups have been helpful. I started too many projects - completion is important to me and learning to stay focused, to say NO to all those BLOCK OF THE MONTHS starting. I am only signed up for the 2013 CRAFTY class and this is GOOD.

As I have been cleaning out my computer, I came across the "Power of Ten" guide; I have this one printed and read it each day as I am taking better care of myself and "embracing ME."
    THE POWER OF TEN
    Judy Hall, Texas QuiltworksThe "Power of 10" in quilting is a simple way to complete those projects we want to finish.

1. First, simply find the projects that you are no longer interested in completing and pass them on to someone who would love it as much as you once did.
    2. Second, list "10" projects that you would like to complete. Now remember "Only 10" projects are to be on the list.
    3. Third, begin working on the projects on the list and spend three hours toward completing it.
    4. Fourth, keep a list of projects and the hours worked.
    5. Fifth, once three hours are spent on a project move to the next. A quilter's interest wanes and is usually spent after three hours. Now if a project requires two to four hours it doesn't matter. Simply finish the project. Feel good about finishing it.
    6. Sixth, find another project and add it to the list. Remember, only Ten Projects are your focus.
    7. Seventh, continue to rotate the projects you are working on.
    8. Eighth step is to list the supplies needed to finish your projects.
    9. Ninth would be to shop at Texas Quiltworks (or your local quilt shop) for items to finish your projects. Local quilt shops need your support more than ever in today's economy.
    10. ...and Tenth, the 'Power of Ten' becomes reality when you are able to share your project. Be sure to share your quilt at guild meetings, quilt shops, family and friends. Remember by showing your finished project you are inspiring someone else to finish a project."
    Last edited by ccthomas; 01-05-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Carol

I love this thread and I love the power of ten list,too. My DH and I are in a new period of transition with his retirement, mine coming in the next few years, if all goes right and a big move after that. I've had some anxious moments...our life has been the same for so long!
    I thrive on chaos and some clutter for a while, then it all makes me crazy. I'll clean up until the cycle starts all over again! It's as if I can't see until I really see it. I would like to become more efficient so that I can enjoy quilting and knitting more.
    Thanks for this thread.

Messy while I work and clean up after - check. 2013 UFO list made - check. Want to finish Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street and working towards that - check. Trying to NOT be overwhelmed by the amount of work to do - check. Issued a moratorium on fabric purchases for as long as I possibly can - check. This quilt board - priceless!

My studio is organized chaos. And undoubtedly will always be. But, I too am learning who I am, so I don't let it bother me

Great minds must think alike LOL After completing all my Christmas gifts, I decided to clean up my sewing room. My projects have always been organized together with the pattern, fabric, etc. but the leftovers had taken over. I can't stand chaos, can't focus, can't find what I want, don't even know what I have, etc. Prior to Christmas I folded all the yardage on comic boards. Now I am organizing those fabrics between a FQ and 1 yd. by color. Anything smaller than a FQ is being cut into either 2 1/2" strips, 5" sqs. or 2 1/2" sqs. Smaller scraps are being saved to stuff dog/cat beds. I can feel my body relaxing already : ) Here's to a Happy New Year to everyone and hopes that you figure out what works and makes you happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast