Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt Fabric >

Charity Quilt Fabric

Charity Quilt Fabric

Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 AM

I will use fabric from pretty much any source, depending on the quality and feel of the particular fabric. Good stuff can come from many places. I look for quality, and won't use anything that I wouldn't use for my personal sewing. My charity group has a very large stash of donated fabric, which we are free to use. Some of the prints are very, shall we say, interesting, but my taste is not the same as someone elses, and they may find something beautiful that I don't care for.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 AM

I use scraps from quilts I have made which are all 100% cotton.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 AM

I am so gratified to see all generous souls in our quilt community. My guild makes many quilts for LeBonheur and St Jude childrens hospitals in town. We use fabric from our own stash's and usually put fleece on the back. (I have been lurking in the back for quite a while but felt that I had to compliment everyone on this issue) Thanks for all the great information you all generously share.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pickle
This is what bothers me about people and charity quilts. Is Wal Mart or Jo Ann's classed as fabric not good enough for charity quilts. Do you assume that if you send a quilt to a poor person who does not have a thing and has lost everything in a flood or fire would question the quality of the fabric?? I sometimes feel there is a little snobyness in quilting. It sounds do me that some people even say excuse me but I could only use Wal Mart fabric etc. They all turn out pretty no matter what the price, as long as it is neat ,clean and sewed from the heart.
I can see what you mean, but I think the question, for me at least, is why should a 'charity quilt' be synonymous with 'shoddy and thrown together from whatever'? From the discussions we've had on this topic here on the board, it is great to see that the vast majority of us make quilts to give to strangers, using the best of our knowledge, skills and resources.

I don't have much personal knowledge of Walmart's or Joann fabrics since I don't live in the US. I just feel that I want any quilt that leaves my home to be as good as it can be - not necessarily complicated, but warm, sturdy, cheerful, full of love and as pretty as possible.

Sorry for the rant, but I kind of cringe when I read an article that suggests I experiment with some new method and that if I don't like the result I can just give it to charity... No, I make winter beds for my felines with my 'experiments' and only give to others what I would want to receive!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 AM

The beautiful thing about charity quilting is that it is very individualistic. I could spend 200 hours and $200 on a charity quilt and make only 2 per year. Or I can take a simple design and decent fabrics from my stash, donations, or garage sales and make several per month.

In either case I want to make them attractive and lasting. I do not use loose weave fabric, and for children's quilts, I use 1/2 inch seams with small stitches.

I am a former coordinator for Project Linus, the biggest "downer" of the job for me was handling (and sometimes mending) the bad blankets when they came in. There weren't many, but the few that we had were demoralizing -- quilts made from old faded curtains, fabric with stains and holes, open seams, etc. Most recipients don't notice or care if the points are cut off on stars in piecing, but they do notice if the quilt comes out of the washing machine in rags.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

Come on now.........we made quilts out of poly/cotton for years. As long as it makes a good quilt, use what you have. I would not use see thru fabric but if it is the same weight. I would not hesitate using the 80/20 available if it all was that fabric. They last forever
One time I sent a box of fabric to a group in Florida and in the box was some blended fabric. All the same weight and fabric I would have used. They would pay postage only for the amount that was not 100% cotton. Now you tell me what kind of chairity recepients do you find in South Florida.

Lets not be snobs about this issue. It has been disussed time after time. I appreciate the Alabama group as they will take any fabric that is suitable for chairity qulilts.

I assume those grandmothers always buy certified 100 ctton PJ's for their grandkids. Or 100% cotton in their pretty little dresses from The Gap or some other fancy shop.

It is time to rethink what we use in Chairity quilts. Use good fabric whatever the blend and do the best job you can. They are lovelingly abused and coer durmg cold nights and wrapped in during nap time and even put on the floor at school during gym.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I agree with you most of us would not give away something that we do not like ourselves. I just don't dig the notion that it must all be top of the line fabric.
Oh and by the way my granddaughter 's name is Maggie
Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 AM

I use what's in my stash for the most part. It may not be all quilt store fabric but if it's not, it is still good quality cotton and not the see-through stuff.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 AM

I use what I have. I, too, purchase fabric from JoAnn's that is on sale especially for charity kids' quilts or any other I'm working on.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
I try to use something in my stash...some is better quality than others, but it is all quality that I would use for a personal quilt too.
Same here...