Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I want my best work to be given no matter who gets the quilt or what it is made from. Make it with love and give with a cheerful heart.
I agree. Whatever I make & donate is as good as anything I would give a family member or treasured friend.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I want my best work to be given no matter who gets the quilt or what it is made from. Make it with love and give with a cheerful heart.
I agree. Whatever I make & donate is as good as anything I would give a family member or treasured friend.
i believe everyone has a right to their own opinions, but my opinion is:
are we sending an unspoken message about how we look at others, by the quilt we are willing to give them?
My prayers go with my gifts too, so I try to do everything in life as well as I can.
What if a member of my own family was the one in need?
What if my house burned to the ground...would I be grateful for other's cast offs and leftovers...I'm sure that with nothing, I would be.
Would I know that's what it was? probably, and I would pray for them, bc you can lose a house, but I will keep my principles. bless you all. :)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM

I have only made one quilt for charity so far, but that's only because I just started quilting. It will be going to the next shut in that is listed in my church bullitin on Sunday. I don't know who he or she will be but I'm sure it will be cherished.

Now being 18 this might sound odd coming from me as you don't hear it with most teens, but my dad taught me to do my best at everything, because my name will be attached to it and someone, even if they don't know me, will associate me with the quality of my work.

That being said, I was working on this quilt, and I just enlarged an Amish Diamond block and when I tried peicing things together they didn't match up by about a 1/4 inch on either side. At first I was just thinking someone will love it anyway, but as I was laying it out for sandwiching, those 1/4 off seams were really bothering me. So I put on some music and pulled out my seam ripper and fixed it. This time when I laid it out, I was much happier. I did try something new that I wasn't sure how it would come out, adding curved quilting, but I did pretty well I think and I'm getting ready to send it out.

I only put my name on it because someone mentioned that even though you're donating it, you don't know where it will end up (she suggested maybe a muesum, but I won't hold my breath) and how wouldn't it be nice to have your name associated with it?

But I do agree with quality over quantity. And I have some corderoy strips that will be going into a quilt for the homeless shelter. I did one and now I'm hooked!

ps: sorry for the rambling!

just thought I'd include the pic as I'm so proud of it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239854[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239848.jpe  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

well, sarahrachel, that's just beautiful and I'd be proud to have my name on it too! Good for dad and for you :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM

If I were giving a quilt to charity I would give it my all and maybe not go for the easiest pattern. I have to agree with Zhillslady with that I wouldn't give a homeless person, victim, vetern, or cancer patient anything less than what I would give to my own child (if I had one). But that's not to knock down quilters who do make the quick and easy quilts or don't exactly make the prettiest quilts. ...maybe I just contradicted myself a little there. What's really important is you really put the thought and heart into it no matter what kind of quilt you're making. The lady from Zhillslady's story didn't have the heart put into her quilt for charity. Its not "just for charity" as she had put it. Its for "a girl who has bone cancer and lost all her hair to chemo" or "a man who has no job or home and eats at a soup kitchen" or "a soldier who got injured in Iraq".
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Lady, you got that right , I used to make over 200 baby quilts A YEAR for charity whan I lived in Utah, I was much younger,If I did not like it I would never give IT to someone else, I heard a saying , If it is not precious to you why would you give it to any one else , A gift is from the heart, if you would not want it why give it to some one else ???I still sew for charity events and am real happy with what I make because my God gave me the talent to make it and I will not waste my talents because I do not want to loose them, :thumbup: :P :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM

I was born in the hill country of Calif, My father was a gold miner, He worked in the mines for $30.00 a month when I was a baby, Those days are long gone but the little town I was raised has refused to die, about 15 years ago the town was having a fundraiser for the fire department so I made a log cabin quilt , I used the sunshine and shadows pattern , I remember the sun coming through the cracks in the wall every morning, so the name was appropriate , I made a full sized , Asked God to bless it and mailed it off, I had prayed that some rich woman would not get the quilt I had hand quilted and use it for her dog or something like that, A few weeks after the big shindig, I received a letter from a woman in Susanville , Calif, She put in her tickets and said I have never won any thing in my life but the quilt is so beautiful, , "I won the quilt, it is on my bed ", I am a widow, living by herding goats, If you want to go back packing I will take you up into the hills with my little herd of goats packing your camping supplies on their backs, The quilt is on my bed and I thank God every day for it, I feel so blessed, Needless to say I thanked God for the blessing to her and to me, Still makes me cry. :lol:
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 AM

I hear you ! I have donated several quilts , one in particular for a Breast cancer patient and I want mine to hold up longer than I will be around!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.

Well put....and I agree whole-heartedly!!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I have only made one quilt for charity so far, but that's only because I just started quilting. It will be going to the next shut in that is listed in my church bullitin on Sunday. I don't know who he or she will be but I'm sure it will be cherished.

Now being 18 this might sound odd coming from me as you don't hear it with most teens, but my dad taught me to do my best at everything, because my name will be attached to it and someone, even if they don't know me, will associate me with the quality of my work.

That being said, I was working on this quilt, and I just enlarged an Amish Diamond block and when I tried peicing things together they didn't match up by about a 1/4 inch on either side. At first I was just thinking someone will love it anyway, but as I was laying it out for sandwiching, those 1/4 off seams were really bothering me. So I put on some music and pulled out my seam ripper and fixed it. This time when I laid it out, I was much happier. I did try something new that I wasn't sure how it would come out, adding curved quilting, but I did pretty well I think and I'm getting ready to send it out.

I only put my name on it because someone mentioned that even though you're donating it, you don't know where it will end up (she suggested maybe a muesum, but I won't hold my breath) and how wouldn't it be nice to have your name associated with it?

But I do agree with quality over quantity. And I have some corderoy strips that will be going into a quilt for the homeless shelter. I did one and now I'm hooked!

ps: sorry for the rambling!
Your Dad sounds like mine did. although I'm quite a bit older than you, I grew up with my Dad telling me that if it isn't good enough to put your name on than you shouldn't be doing it. He applied that to everything. I think your quilt is beautiful.