Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.
brought tears to my eyes.......the truth is like that

wish we were not 3,000 miles away
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Amen! :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 PM

exactly...my charity quilts may not be show quality but they are as good as it gets from me. I know someone who also says...it is just charity and this makes me so mad!! Because they may not have what we have should not make a difference or the choices that were made.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 PM

I totally agree. I do nice quilts for charity. And I have no quilts for myself, although I have been quilting for 25 years. I have some wall hangings and table runners, but give the others away.

I give to several local charities, and also the people I know who have a serious illness, or have had a major traumatic event.

Quilts are like no other gift. They provide comfort for the body and soul
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.

I totally agree with you. I make and give what I can when I can and know that there will always be someone waiting to receive. I want them to feel they have received a beautiful gift not a hand me down. Giving with a glad heart is what it's all about.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM

I totally agree with you. I make and give what I can when I can and know that there will always be someone waiting to receive. I want them to feel they have received a beautiful gift not a hand me down. Giving with a glad heart is what it's all about.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Anytime one of our group makes a charity quilt we try to make them pretty colors,various designs and something we would like to recieve. I like to think if the reciepient will only have one quilt make it the best you can do. We just gave 6 quilts to families that lost a home( homes) in a fire last week. We tell them May you be wrapped in Love.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
I was born in the hill country of Calif, My father was a gold miner, He worked in the mines for $30.00 a month when I was a baby, Those days are long gone but the little town I was raised has refused to die, about 15 years ago the town was having a fundraiser for the fire department so I made a log cabin quilt , I used the sunshine and shadows pattern , I remember the sun coming through the cracks in the wall every morning, so the name was appropriate , I made a full sized , Asked God to bless it and mailed it off, I had prayed that some rich woman would not get the quilt I had hand quilted and use it for her dog or something like that, A few weeks after the big shindig, I received a letter from a woman in Susanville , Calif, She put in her tickets and said I have never won any thing in my life but the quilt is so beautiful, , "I won the quilt, it is on my bed ", I am a widow, living by herding goats, If you want to go back packing I will take you up into the hills with my little herd of goats packing your camping supplies on their backs, The quilt is on my bed and I thank God every day for it, I feel so blessed, Needless to say I thanked God for the blessing to her and to me, Still makes me cry. :lol:
Aww, I just loved that story, so glad that lady one the quilt.
:)
Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Excuse the typo, I meant won the quilt!
:oops:
Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

A PS

Somehow I think the recipient "knows" if a quilt is made with love and care or not.

There may be two quilts that look very similar -

One is "the very best the person could do" - the other is "almost a throw-away from another "

One can't always tell "just by looking" - - - -

As a fortune cookie said:

"Even a dog knows the difference between being stepped on by mistake and being kicked"