Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by bearisgray
My Grandma B used to make "charity quilts" at her church - and that was maybe 30 to 40 years ago -

She said that they were told to make them ugly - so the recipients would not sell them for alcohol or drugs.
I was told once not to make foster kids quilts too fancy, because if they went home the parents would sell thm for alcohol and drugs. Most don't ever go home, but it could be something to consider.
I guess if the quilts were sold, at least then the quilts may go to a home that wanted them.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.
Beautifully said and I so agree. I try my best on whatever quilt I am making, rather it be for a stranger or someone I know. I also pray about whomever receives the quilt - God knows who I am thinking about even if I don't. :)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Yes I agree. Always do your best no matter what...Thats what i teach my children.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Just to add my two cents in an already long line. Quality of WORKMANSHIP is important, But I for one don't see a problem of giving a quilt that maybe isn't "up to par" becuase I'm learning a new technique to charity. If the quilt will still hold up for it's intended use once it's given, I'd rather give something knowing someone is wrapped in love, and the quilt go to a loving home, then be given to the cat or dog, or used out in the shop.

Sometimes when we JUDGE someone else GIFT we are judging without all the facts! What if that was the persons best? What if that quilt was the last earthly posession the person owned and they felt they should donate it as a thank you for the charity they recieved. I feel if the person donating is fine with the workmanship who am I to judge them? Unless I'm willing to sit down and undo everything they've done to make it meet MY standards I need to sit down and shut up!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM

I DON'T GIVE ANYTHING AWAY THAT I MYSELF WOULDN'T USE. I DO NOT PUT A LABEL ON MY QUILTS. i MADE A QUILT AND WHEN PIECEING I SQUARED UP THE BLOCKS. NOTHING MATCHED. SO, I WADDED IT UP AND PUT IT IN A BAG. THE LOCAL SCHOOL WANTED A QUILT SO I GOT THAT "GOD AWFUL QUILT OUT OF THE CLOSET AND FINISHED IT. THE RECEIPANT THOUGHT IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL QUILT. EVEN IF IT THE SQUARES DID NOT LINE UP. THE COLORS WERE BEAUTIFUL.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.
:thumbup:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

good for your bear!
I have the same feelings about charity quilts.
I don't want to use my cheapest/ugliest fabrics to try to bring some comfort to someone that is already down.
I want my gift to say "somebody I don't even know, cared enough..." :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM

Very well said!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by newbee
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by bearisgray
My Grandma B used to make "charity quilts" at her church - and that was maybe 30 to 40 years ago -

She said that they were told to make them ugly - so the recipients would not sell them for alcohol or drugs.
I was told once not to make foster kids quilts too fancy, because if they went home the parents would sell thm for alcohol and drugs. Most don't ever go home, but it could be something to consider.
I guess if the quilts were sold, at least then the quilts may go to a home that wanted them.
But I can't help thinking about how that child would feel.
I am not giving my opinion one way or the other, I am just stating what I was told...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I threw a fit at my guild when we made quilts for charity and so many made really bad constructed quilts from awful fabric. I was President at the time and I said the only way my name was not going to be on the letterhead of the donation paperwork quilts was if the these quilts went to the Humane Society. I was so appalled these ladies would dare think a charity quilt meant just any old thing will do. I was taught you do the best you can with the best you can afford if your name is going to be attached.