Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

It is truly a fact that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I belong to a group of quilter who donate to homeless people. I was helping to deliver quilts and while packing them into the car, I noticed one, a brown and purple quilt which I thought was ugly.

When we delivered the quilts, one little boy noticed the brown and purple quilt, happily shouted, "A peanut butter and jelly quilt!" and quickly laid claim to it!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Zhillslady - I totally agree!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

My Grandma B used to make "charity quilts" at her church - and that was maybe 30 to 40 years ago -

She said that they were told to make them ugly - so the recipients would not sell them for alcohol or drugs.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
My Grandma B used to make "charity quilts" at her church - and that was maybe 30 to 40 years ago -

She said that they were told to make them ugly - so the recipients would not sell them for alcohol or drugs.
I was told once not to make foster kids quilts too fancy, because if they went home the parents would sell thm for alcohol and drugs. Most don't ever go home, but it could be something to consider.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray

But one could still construct them so they would hold together!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM

I love the work I'm doing, sewing/quilting for preemie babies in the NICU's of our area hospitals. I sew with the group called Threads of Love. Sometimes I'm working on quilts(30" approx.) or I'm working on baby shirts and burp pads. The shirts are made so the nurses can dress a baby easily, not something that has to go over the baby's head and little warmer than the knit shirts the hospitals use.
The quilts are the most fun to work on because its something that the baby gets to use once they're able to come out of the isolettes and can be held by their parents. And the parents get to keep the quilts, so its something special for them too. It shows them that there are people who care and pray for their babies.
I don't use fabric from LQS because I can't afford that fabric anyway but do try to make the quilts as cute as I can, something I would make for my own grandchildren. Probably spend more sewing for the little ones than I do anything else but wouldn't have it any other way. Suppose its my way of saying thank you for three healthly gk's and one on the way. Chris
Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Perfectly said! I would never give a quilt to someone in need that I wouldn't give to a loved one!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While this year's LQS offerings may be the only thing acceptable to some, others may have pleasant memories sparked by a bit of fabric that was buried at the bottom of a bin. The colors that may seem dated and old-fashioned to one may be a comforting and familiar to another.

I hope every quilt made, charity or not, finds a person to cherish it.
It has really bothered me that so many people put "charity" quilts in a category that says it doesn't matter how the quilt looks or the workmanship that went into it. It should be obvious that you aren't talking about making heirloom quilts to give to strangers, but giving something you wouldn't let your cat sleep on to a person who is already down is a sin. Most recipients of "charity" quilts would far rather be in a position to be giving quilts than receiving them.

Thanks for the comments like the one above, but shame on the ones of you who are condescending snobs. froggyintexas
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 AM

May I add one more thought to this thread: Oftentimes the quilts for homeless ones who sleep on the streets must be dark, durable, and not bright and pretty. Folks will steal the quilts if they are pretty. Some of the quilts even have deep pockets sewn on the back for the feet to go in or for valuables to be stored in. Ugly is sometimes best.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM

I think of it this way. No matter what kind of quilt I am making, I do my best as far as the "quality" of my work I put into it. Whether it's keeping someone warm in an alley or on a dialysis table, I don't want it falling apart on them. My choices of fabric might be different, and the level of skill I employ might be different, but the love in my heart is the same while I am making the quilt, no matter who it is for. If it's for family, it's love because they are part of my blood and life. If it's someone sleeping in an alley, it's love because they are part of someone else's blood and perhaps I can contribute some small warmth in a cold life, they need my love more than I need to keep it. If it's someone dealing with an illness or other major life disruption, it's love because I can make and give something that will perhaps give some small comfort in a day of trials. I have a heart full of love that never gets used up as long as I keep giving it away. That's what I hope everyone who gets a quilt that I made feels most of all, because that's what I put into it more than anything else. :D