Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Charm Packs, what do you do?

Blog Entries
    Disappearing nine patch is another good one. Or gift them to me

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    What is the name of the 2nd picture you posted?
    The fabric is Moda's Bliss line, by Bonnie and Camille... No patterns, just did my own thing.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just made a table topper from 2 charm packs that I have had for some time. I used one of the Schnibbles patterns and it turned out perfect, no left overs. You should try one of their patterns.
    Lorraine

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I like to make placemats with them. I pick out an additional coordinating fabric from my stash, but a few 5" squares from that, and use the resting for napkins. Works up cute! I can get 4 placemats from a collection of 5" squares by doing it this way.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Blog Entries
    I'm currently using some charm packs for a Grandmothers Flower Garden. Cutting them into 4ths makes 4 perfect size (1") hexies. I'm using several though since I want at least a generous lap quilt!
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have used them in coasters, placemats, the speedy baby quilt with a "panel" in te middle and the 10 minute block.
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    I love to use them when making mini quilts. Everyone thinks I did a wonderful job picking out my fabrics when all I did was cut and sew them together. I also use them to make lap size quilts.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Sometimes I add some extra coordinating fabric and make a D9P, cuddle quilt size. For a baby quilt I just arrange the charms how I like, then add a couple of borders, and it's a baby quilt, or lap quilt.

Love the ideas mentioned here!
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Go to MQC or Cafty.com. They use a lot of chame packs.

I buy them on sale from Mo. Star Quilt and use them for paper piecing. My favorite are the batiks.

check out Missouri Stat Quilt Company -they have several tutorials on using charm packs
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I just saw a Quilt in a Day TV show where she used Charm Packs. Really cute quilt. You might be able to see the show on her website videos.
    Carmen E.

My avatar is from a charm pack.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Sewbizgirl - Those are pretty quilts!

I made this quilt top using four Moda Charm packs. Just the top, the sides came from some scrap bags. This pattern is very simple, just put some sashing with a center square in between the four matching charms. I put mine on-point, but you wouldn't have to. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t93040.html

There is a Jacob's Ladder from a charm pack on a Minnesota Fabric Utube tutorial. It is hanging on the wall in the back. I think it is charming.

Charm squares are my favorite! There are tons of patterns that use them. All of the books mentioned by other members are great. Shabby Fabrics has one called "Charmed and Dangerous" which is terrific. You can use them as they are or make triangle, etc. Take them out of the drawer and have fun.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Flying geese: cut them in half add corners.
    Dresden Plate: They make the plate beautiful.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    They make beautiful pinwheel squares. Just put 2 of them together with right sides facing easch other, then sew 1/4" seam all the way around all 4 sides. Lay it on your cutting board and cut diagonally. Now you have 2 triangles. Then take each triangle and cut them in half. You now have 4 half-square triangles. Open them up and iron each piece. Lay them out and carefully place the four squares together to form a perfect pinwheel square. This is so easy. Then just use sashing between your beautiful pinwheel squares, add some borders. Your finished pinwheel square will be 6" x 6". I used charm squares that are 5" x 5" to start with. Have fun with this!
    Bev

I made the quilt in my profile picture using 2 charm packs. What a time saver!

I purchased mine as a newbie and just now starting to use them - doing a tumbler block quilt this weekend.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I sew up HSTs with a coordinating solid and go from there. So many different arrangements, I just play around until I find something I like.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I saw a pattern recently...You take a nine patch block and cut it width wise in half and length wise in half. It makes a new block. Then you just turn it any way you want. 2 charm packs is enough for a lap size quilt. It was really cool. This is not my idea and I can't remember which blog I saw it on. I will keep looking and post if I can find it.
    I've seen these blocks also. Jenny Doan has a Youtube video on making them. I can't remember the name of the block either, but they are wonderful. I, also have many charm packs with a little yardage to go with them and now I'm thinking about making that block. I just need to check out Jenny Doan's video. But the way you described how to make them, I don't even need the video. Your instructions are perfect! Thanks from me!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I've seen these blocks also. Jenny Doan has a Youtube video on making them. I can't remember the name of the block either, but they are wonderful. I, also have many charm packs with a little yardage to go with them and now I'm thinking about making that block. I just need to check out Jenny Doan's video. But the way you described how to make them, I don't even need the video. Your instructions are perfect! Thanks from me!!
    This is called a disappearing nine patch. You can get really cool effects with different placements of fabric in the nine patch, and with the different ways you can turn the blocks after you cut them.

You can just make a scrappy quilt or throw just buy sewing these squares together. I had read in a magazine that you can stagger these squares to make it easier because of the seams. Sew one row the length you want, then the next row cut 1st square in half and then the 5 inches squares are sewen to this and etc. So every other row would have the first 5 inch square cut in half. Your might want to try making a twister quilt, but this would involve a twister template. Then again cut the squares in 2 1/2 inchs and sew these together along with longer 2 1/2 inch strips to make a strip quilt of the size you want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast