Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Charm Packs, what do you do?

thanks, printing right now.

to Sewbizgirl.....

I love the red polka dot one. May I use your pattern? (I don't sell my quilts..only gift them)
    Last edited by karate lady; 03-30-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: needed to address to right person.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Disappearing 9-patch. Charms are the perfect size in my opinion. Kid prints make great I SPY quilts as someone has already mentioned.

Go to http://www.missouriquiltco.com and check out some of their videos for using charm packs. One I remember that was especially nice was a Jacob's Ladder. Or put them together in coordinating pairs, right sides together, and sew around the outsides with a 1/4" seam. Then cut them diagonally both directions. You can use the results to make pinwheels or hourglasses or turn the darks to the inside, or the lights to the inside... or several other patterns. I love charm packs. And Irishrose is right, a tumbler quilt would be an economical use of charm packs. Enjoy them!

Blog Entries
    Try Criss-cross coasters they are so fun to make with charm packs

cmb
    goto www.fatquartershop.com and check out their free quilt patterns...there is one called "Wuthering Heights" that uses charm squares...lap size...great pattern...enjoy...

I love charm packs. I made a scrappy pinwheel with one set. Used the Missouri Quilts template for a tumbler. The template is sized for 5" charms. Or sew the charms together to make HST and then sew with the triangles all facing the same way. Sorry don't know the name of that pattern, but one of the ladies here will. And they do make lovely totes.

They are great for using in Spiderweb blocks, you will have to cut them up as you go.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Quote Originally Posted by quiltnmore View Post
    I make this 45" square quilt for more than just babies. I embroider something in the 16 1/2" middle square or use a pillow square and cut it to the right size for the center. This is my favorite pattern and I use it a lot for weddings as a kind of banner that can be used afterward also.

http://schoolgirlsamplers.com/pdftut...peedyBaby2.pdf
    Very cute quilt top.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I saw a pattern recently...You take a nine patch block and cut it width wise in half and length wise in half. It makes a new block. Then you just turn it any way you want. 2 charm packs is enough for a lap size quilt. It was really cool. This is not my idea and I can't remember which blog I saw it on. I will keep looking and post if I can find it.
    One of the names for this is "disappearing 9 patch". I think Eleanor Burns has a pattern for this but you don't need a pattern once someone shows you what to do.
    quilting with my dogs

Oh, the 10 Minute block is great. We were taught at last guild meeting for our BOM. I had never heard of it before. Really enjoy makaing these.
    Robin in TX

Tossed nine patch by Eleanor Burns, my favorite quilt to make right now
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by rob529 View Post
    Oh, the 10 Minute block is great. We were taught at last guild meeting for our BOM. I had never heard of it before. Really enjoy makaing these.
    Robin in TX
    I love this block!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I just never bought any of them either because I never saw the point. I buy yardage and then cut it up. Some people love the precuts, just depends on what you do and how you like to do it. I have never bought any and I only once bought a bundle of fat quarters, when I buy small stuff of something I like I always regret that I didn't buy more.lol
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    I just never bought any of them either because I never saw the point. I buy yardage and then cut it up. Some people love the precuts, just depends on what you do and how you like to do it. I have never bought any and I only once bought a bundle of fat quarters, when I buy small stuff of something I like I always regret that I didn't buy more.lol
    That is a lot like me. I bought the first charm pack two years ago to make a tote bag from. I didn't do it and now I don't want one from it. Two of the others were gifts. Another was a freebie at the quilt shop I was at for retreat and I bought the other two so I would have more of two of the ones I was given. See....I don't buy them either.

Funny thing is I love scrappy quilts. I do buy fat quarter collections with that in mind but mainly they just sit in a drawer until I start pulling from them for other stuff.

Loving your quilt tops made of charms--I won 15 charm packs and now you have inspired me as to what to do with them. Marlene C--Alaska

Missouri Quilt Company has a special little ruler for charm packs. Check out there website.
    Mazda

Those are beautiful and seems fairly easy. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    You can get 2 blades of the dresden plate pattern out of one 5" square...check out the tutorial for that on Missouri Quilt Shop...

I have a pattern I made up that uses a jelly roll and several charm packs and makes an almost twin size quilt. I don't think I have a pic of one though and I'm going to make another one and turn it into an actual pattern since I've never seen another one like it.

I do DP9's, pinwheels, and four patches. Check Missouri Quilts on you tube they have some great tutorials using charm packs.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I love the charm packs, too. Here is one that is quick and cute, hope to try it soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyj9j...eature=related

It'a called X's and O's.
    phranny ~ I cannot call my day complete. 'til needle, thread, and fabric meet.

Phranny - Loved the X's and O's quilt. Thanks for sharing it.

I have cut them for 9 patch quilts. If they are 5' charms, they work perfect for making 2"squares in the 9 patch

Make a tumbler quilt with them. Using the cardboard backing, measure in an inch from each side on the bottom. Then using a small ruler make a line from each bottom point to the top corners, thats your template. Mark your squares on the back, cut and sew togather in strips. Use your extra piece of fabric for a border. Or...just sew the squares all togather as is, in a scrappy type quilt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast