Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cheap serger thread >

cheap serger thread

cheap serger thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM

I have used serger thread a lot. The quilt police will tell you that it is a NO-NO, but for most quilts it is okay. After all none of my quilts will be hung in the Smithsonian. If they are, they should just hang 'em high and keep 'em movin'. My only complaint is that some of the thread is kind of fuzzy and is difficult to thread thru a smaller needle eye.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM

I have used this thread for about 20 years for sewing everything. I still have coats and other garments that just will not wear out! I have sewn purses, quilts, and even the sofa slipcover with this thread and have never had a problem with it. I agree that it is a matter of personal preference and your own experiences. (I have tried more expensive threads and had terrible problems, so maybe it is just my machine that likes the bargain!)
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
DBW

has anyone used it for FSL embroidery designs?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM

I use the thread too, and I've never had a problem with it. I sew a great deal of clothing for my grandkids and I love to finish the edges,not to memtion reinforce the seams.And the thread does great.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 AM

When I first started quilting I used cones given to me by my SIL who worked in the local Laura Ashley factory. I had loads of trouble with them - breaking, & masses of lint so they were relegated to basting thread and I gave away alot of them for that purpose. I then bought new serger thread and that was much better and I carried on using that for years. However a couple of years ago 3 of my first quilts have been returned for repair and all the seams were coming apart.(They would be about 15yrs old) I just put them on a another backing and free machined them. Anyway my point is that since then I haven't used serger thread or polyester cos that melts as I like using very hot iron and my favourite is masterpiece from superior threads with bottomline in the bobbin.