Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cheap serger thread >

cheap serger thread

cheap serger thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by KookNKwilt
My mom made quilts for all the kids and grandkids about 10 or 15 years ago. She always used the cone thread from JoAnns as it is so inexpensive. Now, all of those quilts are falling apart. It's like the thread just disintegrated! Mom is blind now and can no longer quilt, so we are all pretty bummed out. Serger thread is just two ply and not strong enough to hold a seam IMHO. I will ONLY use top quality cotton thread to piece my quilts. I want them to outlive me!
Oh no! Sadly, what I expect will happen using serger thread:
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM

What kind of sheets do you use?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I cheaped out at Joann's on a sale and bought about five spools of their $2 serger thread. Way more economical than Coats&Clark or the more expensive threads, and you get so much more on the spool. I use it for piecing with no problems whatsoever. I did forget tho and did some quilting with it, and there doesn't seem to be any problems in that area either.....hmmm....

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using this kind of thread for these purposes over the long term of the quilt?

Serger thread is made up of shorter, two ply threads rather than the longer three ply threads of 'traditional' thread. It is not as strong as the traditional thread. I was just looking at a quilt a friend quilted for me in 2005 using serger thread and the thread fibers are starting to look a little frayed and I expect it will be breaking down before too much longer. It is a well used, well loved by human and dog, quilt.

HOWEVER, do you folks realize that serger thread is 'graded'?? At least the Maxi-Lock is. Look inside the bottom of the cone and you will see anything from AA, A, B or C. This tells you the 'quality' of the thread. Same as with fabrics being only as good at the greigh goods they are printed on.

Hope this helps!

Peggy
Where it's sunny and in the 70's in beautiful Jacksonville, FL
Old 11-11-2010, 10:42 AM

oh my gosh! i'm glad no one told my mother you couldn't hand quilt with sheets for a backing. that's all she used!!! she died in 2007 at 96 and used the most economical material she could find to make quilts. her quilts were made to be used on a bed.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
oh my gosh! i'm glad no one told my mother you couldn't hand quilt with sheets for a backing. that's all she used!!! she died in 2007 at 96 and used the most economical material she could find to make quilts. her quilts were made to be used on a bed.
I'm confused. No one in this thread has said you shouldn't use sheets?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by misseva
I'm confused. No one in this thread has said you shouldn't use sheets?
they said you shouldn't use sheets to back a quilt if you were going to hand quilt it.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM

i use it all the time for piecing , quilting, and even embr
with out a bit of trouble
Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM

I would love to use cone thread, but my machine has a horizontal thread holder. Do you think I could rig up something that would help me take the thread off the cone vertically and still thread my machine horizontally? I guess I'd have to come from the right side of the machine instead of the back. I guess it just takes a little finangalling.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM

i just put mine in a cup and sit it bihind machine to use it
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty
I would love to use cone thread, but my machine has a horizontal thread holder. Do you think I could rig up something that would help me take the thread off the cone vertically and still thread my machine horizontally? I guess I'd have to come from the right side of the machine instead of the back. I guess it just takes a little finangalling.
Use extreme caution if you run it from the right side of the machine. It can get rapped around the fly wheel and freeze up your machine, possibly even burn out a motor. I had a customer do this once!

You can by a vertical thread stand to sit behind your machine and still run it on a horizontal machine. It would depend on the threading pattern of your machine as exactly how this would look. The Husqvarna Viking actually has a little 'clip' you can snap into the cover that holds the thread in place.

Hope this helps.