Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cheap serger thread >

cheap serger thread

cheap serger thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I cheaped out at Joann's on a sale and bought about five spools of their $2 serger thread. Way more economical than Coats&Clark or the more expensive threads, and you get so much more on the spool. I use it for piecing with no problems whatsoever. I did forget tho and did some quilting with it, and there doesn't seem to be any problems in that area either.....hmmm....

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using this kind of thread for these purposes over the long term of the quilt?
I was told by several sewing experts to never buy this or any cheap thread. In my experience it is not as strong, is way too fuzzy, and is lumpy, causing breakage when going through the needles. I know I can't use it on my sergers, and my Vikings are a little more fussy about cheap thread. I have found even Coats & Clark to be a poor investment. I wouldn't waste my money on cheap thread. And I wouldn't want to risk all my time and effort I spend on a quilt to use cheap thread.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 AM

Sadie Mae. Love your avatar.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 AM

My mom made quilts for all the kids and grandkids about 10 or 15 years ago. She always used the cone thread from JoAnns as it is so inexpensive. Now, all of those quilts are falling apart. It's like the thread just disintegrated! Mom is blind now and can no longer quilt, so we are all pretty bummed out. Serger thread is just two ply and not strong enough to hold a seam IMHO. I will ONLY use top quality cotton thread to piece my quilts. I want them to outlive me!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 AM

I've used serger thread and it works fine. My favorite threads are Connecting Threads essentials and Marathon thread (especially for thread painting) it has a bit of sheen to it and is light weight. Use Bottom Line for the bobbin when I use Marathon.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

about 20 years ago my mother bought a whole stores supply of serger thread...something like 2500 cones. we have both been using it for these past 20 years for all kinds of projects. if the color is right i use it quilting with out any problems, i use it to piece, applique, quilt; general sewing everything. i really do not understand the people who say you HAVE TO USE THIS THREAD...
use what works for you and don't worry about what other people use.
i have a good supply of cotton;polyester;silk and wool threads. all have their place and work well (well except the cotton that breaks all the time and is a big pain to use.) i choose my thread by project and color not so much by fiber content.

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I cheaped out at Joann's on a sale and bought about five spools of their $2 serger thread. Way more economical than Coats&Clark or the more expensive threads, and you get so much more on the spool. I use it for piecing with no problems whatsoever. I did forget tho and did some quilting with it, and there doesn't seem to be any problems in that area either.....hmmm....

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T be using this kind of thread for these purposes over the long term of the quilt?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:06 AM

Never use "cheap" thread, too much lint, clogs up your machine. Most of all, absolutely never use it on a serger. Any machine dealer will tell you the same thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Banned

you gave the best reasons to use the thread. IT WORKS
Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I have two everyday quilts in our living room that were made with Coats and Clark's Dual Duty thread. One was made in 1995 - that had the poly batting and the other one was made sometime before 2000 - with the warm and natural batting.

These are used every day - I see no problems with any seams pulling out or the fabric threads being cut/abraded by the sewing thread.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 AM

I have used serger thread for sewing squares together for charity and myself because it is so economical and have not had any trouble with it. DH made me a stand for a cone of thread and I use it all the time, saves times threading the machine and cheap and the choice of colors is great. Who needs to worry about color matching when sewing squares together?

Carol J.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM

I use the cone serger thread from Joann's all the time--even for garments and dont have a problem.

So glad you started this thread--I thought I was the only one and have been waiting and waiting for things to fall apart--so far so good.