Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheaper T-shirt Quilts? >

Cheaper T-shirt Quilts?

Cheaper T-shirt Quilts?

Old 02-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Default Cheaper T-shirt Quilts?

I make t-shirt quilts and use premium materials. Kona cotton, Warm and Natural batting, printed quilting fabric, stabilizer, etc., but people don't want to pay for a nice quilt, they want cheap.

So, I have decided to offer a lower quality quilt, but still offer quality quilts for those who are willing to pay for them.

I need some advice on cutting costs. I selected a poly batting instead of the cotton batting, muslin fabric for the back instead for quality quilting fabric, I'm going to be using just a plain cheap 100% cotton for the sashing - found at my local fabric store and skipping using the stabilizer, also longarming the quilt in a bigger standard pattern.

I just worry about quality. Should I? I mean you get what you pay for right? I'm just giving them a choice. Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2017, 07:04 PM

As long as they know the situation, and still approve, go ahead with the cheap stuff. But do not give them a break on your work making it. That part is not cheap...so don't let them think so!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
As long as they know the situation, and still approve, go ahead with the cheap stuff. But do not give them a break on your work making it. That part is not cheap...so don't let them think so!
I agree. Most people wanting a t shirt quilt will probably not know the difference anyway. Give them the different options with the different prices. Let them pick. Sadly, most people don't know the difference between a quality quilt and something from Walmart.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

That's a good idea. They want to see the shirts, not the good Kona, backing, binding, quilting etc. And most muggles don't know cotton from poly anyway.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Two things to consider before making a decision :
1. In my experience, inferior quality materials are often harder to work with, and it takes longer to create a satisfactory product. So you may save money on the product but your time has value too.

2. Do you want to risk damage to your reputation when buyers are unhappy because the inferior item doesn't last very long?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 PM
RST

I would not want to skimp on stabilizer. Have you made t-shirt quilts without it? I think AStitchintime above me is correct that inferior materials are going to translate into more time investment on your part to get a passable end result.

Another idea to consider -- if people are reluctant to pay what you need to charge for quality materials in a tshirt quilt, what if you offer them other cheaper alternatives-- pillow covers, smaller wall hangings, throws with tshirt motifs foundation pieced to fleece, even baby clothing or hats made from special t-shirts. Keep the actual quilt a quality item, but make cheaper novelty fun things that those who can't or won't spend on a full quilt can enjoy.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 PM

I would find other ways to cut cost such as buying wholesale.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:35 AM
Banned

I just won't deal with cheap people. Problem solved.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 AM

You can't buy a Mercedes at KIA pricing.... what reputation do you want to have? I would not compromise my work ethics in good conscience. The labor is the same...the "scrimping on materials" will not make a big dent in the overall scheme of things. Want leather seats? You pay for that option!

sandy
Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 AM

Nope, I wouldn't cut costs at all. They are what they are, if you are making a quality product and spending your time, then the buyer should be willing to pay for your services. I always refer people to Campus Quilts.com or .org (I can never remember which it is). It puts into scale what quilts cost. Just because they know you they shouldn't haggle about the price. After all, you are a custom craftsman with a custom product.