Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Hat Suggestions?!?! >

Chemo Hat Suggestions?!?!

Chemo Hat Suggestions?!?!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM

I'd be glad to sew one and mail it to you/her. Please PM me with your address. The OR hats are really comfortable, as I wore them for 10 hr/day for 10 years, but I also had hair. Hey, it might be a change of pace for her! Sara
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM

I like what Jerrie posted especially the knit one. This would be really nice made in Minky fabric. Nice & soft. I use to have a bandana scarf with sort of a quilted top. The quilted part came over your ears & was at least 6 inches wide , then the tails to tie. It was a little bigger than most bandannas. I will try & draw you a pattern of what I'm talking about if you like.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by saravincent
I'd be glad to sew one and mail it to you/her. Please PM me with your address. The OR hats are really comfortable, as I wore them for 10 hr/day for 10 years, but I also had hair. Hey, it might be a change of pace for her! Sara

Thanks! It is hard trying to figure out which style she would like. I know most of them are probably comfortable with hair, but hard to say which one would be w/out hair!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I like what Jerrie posted especially the knit one. This would be really nice made in Minky fabric. Nice & soft. I use to have a bandana scarf with sort of a quilted top. The quilted part came over your ears & was at least 6 inches wide , then the tails to tie. It was a little bigger than most bandannas. I will try & draw you a pattern of what I'm talking about if you like.
I do like that knit one. Curious how it would hold up in the minky fabric. That is a good idea. I think I will have to play! Oh darn... :-)
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
We just found out that my husbands grandmother's cancer returned. She had found out about 4 years ago that she had lung cancer. Went through chemo/radiation etc. It was during the winter so all of her hats were warm and fuzzy. She begged me to make her some for the summer. Has anyone made one before? I went on the internet and pulled up doo-rag patterns and so forth. Just wondering how comfy they are on soft heads?! Looking for ideas... I don't want to make something and find out that it itches her head. She would like me to make a bunch and I know you ladies/gents have suggestions or have made them before and know which ones are good and which ones aren't.
God Bless you and your family! I just lost my DSIL/BFF to cancer on the 19th, she was only 47. If you ever just need to talk, I'm here. Don't have any advice or hats, I just made her quilts and wall hangings.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I do like that knit one. Curious how it would hold up in the minky fabric. That is a good idea. I think I will have to play! Oh darn... :-)
the crown of the cap you can cut down and the minky fabric will hold up well that way it will not be so heavy on her head and will not slide gt;http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4EE0BF9B09.png" /></a>
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 AM

Great website Jerrie.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 AM

Thanks Carol i am going to try some of the sewing things on there
Old 05-03-2009, 05:39 AM

Here are directions for the comfort hats. I made several for the local cancer center a few years ago, they gave them to the ladies in treatment. I made them 2 ply to be reversible and there were no seams to itch or scratch. Used T-shirt knitand also soft cottons. Ruth

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/media/comfortcap.pdf
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 AM

Here is the pattern for the above directions. Ruth