Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please >

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
Originally Posted by tellabella
I bought the cutest 301 a couple of weeks ago and cleaned it all up and she sews beautifully...this weekend I found another one...in a table...I don't know anything about the 401..but do watch for the bobbin case...make sure they know what it is...

I bought a 221 a while ago and the lady told me the bobbin case was broken...I bought the machine becasue the price was good but when i got it home I saw there was nothing wrong with the bobbin case ...it was the tension unit that was in pieces and I was able to put it all back together...
Okay, showing my ignorance here. Is the bobbin case the metal part that holds the metal bobbin that has the thread wound on it?

If so, there is a picture showing that part under the machine.

Is that what is sometimes missing?
Contact the seller and asked him is it is there or not. Keep a copy of the email if he says yes so that you have proof if it comes and it's not there. Also make sure it has the powercord and foot pedel with it. They ususally answer back pretty fast; don't rely on what you may or may not see in a pic especially since you aren't that familiar with it.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
Originally Posted by tellabella
I bought the cutest 301 a couple of weeks ago and cleaned it all up and she sews beautifully...this weekend I found another one...in a table...I don't know anything about the 401..but do watch for the bobbin case...make sure they know what it is...

I bought a 221 a while ago and the lady told me the bobbin case was broken...I bought the machine becasue the price was good but when i got it home I saw there was nothing wrong with the bobbin case ...it was the tension unit that was in pieces and I was able to put it all back together...
Okay, showing my ignorance here. Is the bobbin case the metal part that holds the metal bobbin that has the thread wound on it?

If so, there is a picture showing that part under the machine.

Is that what is sometimes missing?
Contact the seller and asked him is it is there or not. Keep a copy of the email if he says yes so that you have proof if it comes and it's not there. Also make sure it has the powercord and foot pedel with it. They ususally answer back pretty fast; don't rely on what you may or may not see in a pic especially since you aren't that familiar with it.
Thank you. Will do. Right now.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Yes it is a metal holding case that comes out and bobbin is put in that...
I have a 1951 Black 301 which did not come w/bobbin case...picked it up at a tag sale for 30.00 so I didn't mind buying case for it...for 69.00. Runs beautiful after a ckup with Singer repair man who does vintage machines.
He told me the 301 is the best gear driven machine Singer made and he'd buy that even before a featherweight...He was right it purrs and what a great stitch.

A few mths after buying that I found a 2 Toned beige 1954 301A for 120.00 on Craigs List in cabinet.. I was hooked on my 301 but I find this 301A I like even better even though they are the same machine other then where they were made...That baby purrs even smoother and I discovered the cabinet came equipped with knee pedal which I use and love. So get your 301 versus the 401 you won't regret it.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Before I bid on this machine....can anyone tell me if I need a special walking foot or anything like that for FMQ?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I have a 1951 Black 301 which did not come w/bobbin case...picked it up at a tag sale for 30.00 so I didn't mind buying case for it...for 69.00. Runs beautiful after a ckup with Singer repair man who does vintage machines.
He told me the 301 is the best gear driven machine Singer made and he'd buy that even before a featherweight...He was right it purrs and what a great stitch.

A few mths after buying that I found a 2 Toned beige 1954 301A for 120.00 on Craigs List in cabinet.. I was hooked on my 301 but I find this 301A I like even better even though they are the same machine other then where they were made...That baby purrs even smoother and I discovered the cabinet came equipped with knee pedal which I use and love. So get your 301 versus the 401 you won't regret it.
I have decided to go ahead and bid on this machine....it is a short bed and not the long.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955

My husband bought me my 301a for HIS birthday.

(Hooray!)
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Yes, you will need a darning or FM foot. The 301 is slant shank machine so a regular short shank won't fit. I purchased mine from April1930sshop for $18.95 and no shipping. My LQS likes it better than the one they sell. I have only done lap quilts, but some have been 70 by 80 inches. A 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" harp is only normal size, but I haven't had any trouble. I think the curved pillar helps a little. I like my machines flush in a desk or cabinet. I can't sew with a machine sitting above table level. I know it's all in what I'm accustomed to. First, I used my serger table with the extension that raises on the left side. Now it's in a Kenmore cabinet from Salvation Army for $1. Looks normal. No one knows it's resting on a cut up 2 by 4. My chances of finding a 301 cabinet in the north country aren't good. Actually, I know where there is one in Indianapolis and my son sometimes travels that way.

Miss AnnieRose is worth every penny of the $61 I paid for her. The seller had replaced the electric cord and thought he had cleaned and serviced her. Oiled, maybe, cleaned, not. But they are easy machines to service yourself - also light to ship unless there's a case involved. If you don't get a manual, sewclassic.com has a free one.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Yes, you will need a darning or FM foot. The 301 is slant needle so a regular short shank won't fit. I purchased mine from April1930sshop for $18.95 and no shipping. My LQS likes it better than the one they sell. I have only done lap quilts, but some have been 70 by 80 inches. A 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" harp is only normal size, but I haven't had any trouble. I think the curved pillar helps a little. I like my machines flush in a desk or cabinet. I can't sew with a machine sitting above table level. I know it's all in what I'm accustomed to. First, I used my serger table with the extension that raises on the left side. Now it's in a Kenmore cabinet from Salvation Army for $1. Looks normal. No one knows it's resting on a cut up 2 by 4. My chances of finding a 301 cabinet in the north country aren't good. Actually, I know where there is one in Indianapolis and my son sometimes travels that way.

Miss AnnieRose is worth every penny of the $61 I paid for her.
You got a much better deal than I did. But, I am still VERY happy. Now, I know what to look for in second hand/thrift stores.

My husband grew up sewing and maintaining his mother's 301a machine and is promising to put mine into a table for me.

Is April1930sshop someone on the QB or can you give me the contact info so I can get a foot?

Thanks for letting me know,

Deb
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Can't go wrong with a 301! Feed dogs dog and lightweight! Easy to thread! Solid! I think I will go sew on mine!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM

http://www.april1930s.com/html/embro...cessories.html

I bought the 1/4" foot, too. I'm not sure about that one. First I liked it, now I like a metal guide screwed to the machine better. Also the SITD foot. Love that one. I wouldn't SITD without it. I haven't needed a walking foot - Annie doesn't shift the fabric like the Elna. A new tire for the bobbin winder (Annie's was dry) and a screw for the thread guide someone on the board gifted me with. The regular Singer screw wouldn't fit. I have purchased a tension spring as Annie's seems a little springy, but so far haven't needed to install it, but for $2.95, I'm covered. I could get at sewclassic for less than a $1, but there is a minimum purchase and a shipping fee that's much more than $2.

Look at the home page at the $600 original penguin walking foot for the featherweight. The first time I saw it, I had to read it twice.