Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please >

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
http://www.april1930s.com/html/embro...cessories.html

I bought the 1/4" foot, too. I'm not sure about that one. First I liked it, now I like a metal guide screwed to the machine better. Also the SITD foot. Love that one. I wouldn't SITD without it. I haven't needed a walking foot - Annie doesn't shift the fabric like the Elna. A new tire for the bobbin winder (Annie's was dry) and a screw for the thread guide someone on the board gifted me with. The regular Singer screw wouldn't fit. I have purchased a tension spring as Annie's seems a little springy, but so far haven't needed to install it, but for $2.95, I'm covered. I could get at sewclassic for less than a $1, but there is a minimum purchase and a shipping fee that's much more than $2.

Look at the home page at the $600 original penguin walking foot for the featherweight. The first time I saw it, I had to read it twice.
I just bought a brand new darning foot off of ebay for $12.95 will that be adequate for quilting? Can I SITD with that?

I wish I would have waited until I heard back from you! lol
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM

This is the best darning foot for slant shank machines that I've ever tried:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-S...-SCF384037.htm

No problem at all using it on the 301. I have a vintage darning foot that was made specifically for the 301, but I like working with this one better. :)

Great visibility and very quiet. I have about ten different kinds of darning feet including some that are very old and some that are virtually all plastic and pretty expensive - but my favorite for the low shank costs $3 and this one for slants costs $6. I wish they made this model in a low shank style.

After you've been quilting for a while, this foot almost disappears and you don't even notice it being there! :)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 PM

No, you can't stitch in the ditch with the darning foot, but you can free motion quilt with it. a SITD foot has a little flange in the center front that pushes the fabric back so you can get on or close to the seam. It's so much easier on my hands and more accurate.

Pollyparrot, I'll keep that in mind if I ever need another one.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM

Yes, Ck out SewClassic.com for all your feet. They make a Walking Foot Slant Needle catagory just for the 301 and 301A..Right now they are out of Stock so I myself keep cking.
Some Walking Feet don't quite work with the 301 and some have had to grind down the arm of it to get it to work right. I don't need to be bother doing that.
You can also buy a magnetic fabric guide right at Joann's for 4.99 if you want to save on 1/4 inch foot.
Don't forget you thread the needle from right to left. Allot of ladies thread in wrong direction and can't figure out what's wrong.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 AM

I don't have the 301, but I have heard it is a really good machine. I have had the 401 for many years, and it is a great machine.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 AM

I like the idea of having both. Life is short so why not have a few toys?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 AM

I have a 401 and it is great..I sew on it and my FW..the 401 is in a cabinet..heavy, but it really purrs. will always keep the 401
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Also, if possible, try sewing on the machine before you buy!! I know that it is often geographically impossible, but then if you cannot, be certain you can return the machine if it is not all it's cracked up to be.
Originally Posted by Candace
ONE WARNING!!! At least 50% of the ebay photos for the 301's listed show missing bobbin cases! And they don't tell you in the description that you will have to spend another $40-$80 to get a replacement. I have a thread about this subject right now http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139697-1.htm

So, before you bid, make sure the bobbin case is included and ask for a photo. Remember, these folks don't always sew and they think a bobbin is a bobbin case and have no clue..
Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 AM

I have my grandmothers 301 and we have sewn everything from silky blouses to heavy quilts on this. LOVE it!!!! Go for it!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
I am thinking about buying a refurbished Singer 301 sewing machine off of ebay, but as I have researched it it seems like the 401 might be a bit better machine as far as machine quilting goes.

The advantages to me for the 301 is that it is a lighter machine and is a bit more reasonably priced ( after a quick look see). I might be able to find a 401 without all of the bells and whistles for a similar price.

My husband remembers his mom having a 301 when he was a kid and says he used it a lot! So for sentimental reasons HE wants the 301.

If you have a 301 and it serves you well, please tell me if I will be happy using it for FMQ. I have been a traditionalist thus far but arthritis issues have me reconsidering my position on all things must be quilted by hand. lol
I own both, and the difference is the weight on the 301 makes it portable if you are taking it to a class or retreat. The 401 has the capabilitly of a lot of stitches, including overcasting edges (closest thing to serger without owning one) with disc 22 and the overcast foot. They are both excellent machines, virtually indestructible, however the weight of the 401 makes it a little harder to move around. You can also drop the feed dogs on both so FMQ works on both. I love the quality of the stitch on my 301, but if I could only have one of these it would have to be the 401, but then mine is in a cabinet, and I don't take it anywhere. :-D