Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please >

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Choosing Between a Singer 301 and a 401/advice please

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaK
I am the very proud owner of a black longed 301 which I wouldn't give up for any other machine. I have 3 Featherweights, 2 are the 222K free arm variety. I like them. They are so easily taken to classes, etc, but the 301 is such a nice machine to free motion and stitch with. I'm so happy with it. I own a couple of modern Janomes that are nice machines, but my goto machine has become my black 301.
I am also on the hunt for a good 401 so I have zigzag ability. I like that I can service these machines myself and they are virtually indestructible. My computerized machines will be junk long before my vintage machines are done. Quality stuff!
I can zig zag with my 1951 301 and 1954 301A...I have the zigzagger foot that comes with cams that do decorative stitches also...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
You can't use a magnetic seam guide on the 301. The reason it's light is that the body is aluminum. The magnetic guide just dances around.
The magnet adheres to the metal cover plate I use it all the time and have no problem...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM

We refurbish sewing machines so have had a number of them on my desk. Our average time for work with and on them ranges from 6-15 hours so we know it is in top condition and what a machine can do before it leaves us.
The 301 is great as far as ease of use and visibilty of the needle due to the slant shank and the off set of the tension dial It is strictly a straight stitch unless you locate a zig zag attachment which if you can find it will run anywhere between 50.00- 400.00. I have not sewn with one of the attachments so can not speak to the quality of the stitch it produces- it creates a zigzag by moving the fabric from side to side. I like the 301 machine, great stitch quality and easy to manuver fabric with excellent speed control.
I grew up with a 401 and thought for years that was the cream of the crop. It also is a slant needle with more options as far as stitches. Having said that I still believe it is a very good machine but now have more insight. The two center dials which need to be changed with stitch selection can be touchy and even difficult to not possible to set if the machine has been abused.
Out of the 400 series I would seriously suggest the 403- much simplier to set- the same cams fit it as the 401. Also would recommend the 501 also easy to handle and has an added feature of a dial inside the faceplate that allows you to set the presser foot tension witout guess work out of it. All three are very good and will meet your needs for years to come if they have been properly cared for. Recently someone refered to one of our video demos as an example of what the machine they were selling was capable of. My husband made a very good point- it's like buying a used car- depending on the life, care and maitainence a car/machine has had you are not able to truely access it by what another one is capable of. We have sold the 301, 401, 401, 501 within the last few months and have others soon to be so continue to find features we like about each model.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Yes it is a metal holding case that comes out and bobbin is put in that...
I have a 1951 Black 301 which did not come w/bobbin case...picked it up at a tag sale for 30.00 so I didn't mind buying case for it...for 69.00. Runs beautiful after a ckup with Singer repair man who does vintage machines.
He told me the 301 is the best gear driven machine Singer made and he'd buy that even before a featherweight...He was right it purrs and what a great stitch.

A few mths after buying that I found a 2 Toned beige 1954 301A for 120.00 on Craigs List in cabinet.. I was hooked on my 301 but I find this 301A I like even better even though they are the same machine other then where they were made...That baby purrs even smoother and I discovered the cabinet came equipped with knee pedal which I use and love. So get your 301 versus the 401 you won't regret it.
you are right on the two-tone 301s. for some reason, they
are the fastest machines. yes, the throat area is small, but
for medium quilts, they are great. I have done queen size, but it was a struggle. "pool" your quilt, do not roll it as many sites say to do. relax everything so the area you are
working on does not have an tension or pulling on it.
get the 401 if you do not have a zig-zag machine. It is
a real work horse. you will love either one. and you can
maintain it yourself from the start if you follow the manual.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
I have the 306 Singer, wonder what is the difference between this and the 301 ???
I really would love to have an 301a based on everybody's talk on it, the black vs tan is what im not sure of what i want!
well, the blacks, especially long-beds are harder to find. and
sometimes more expensive. they sew the same except that
two-tone is a fast little bugger. the mochas are the easiest
to find.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I have both. If I could have only one machine it would be the 401. If you have other good general purpose machines and want an awesome light weight portable machine for piecing and some quilting then I would get the 301. I prefer the 301 over the feather Weight and I know there are others that feel that way.

They are so different from each other. The 401 is a tank and can do many things while the 301 is portable, slant shank and sews straight. Think of the 301 as a full sized Feather Weight. It does not look as cute as a Feather weight though.

401 heavy machine, built in stitches and cams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231657[/ATTACH]

mocah 301 in cabinet light weight portable 16 lb? machine note cary handle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231658[/ATTACH]

Feather Weight 11 lb?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231659[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231651.jpe   attachment-231652.jpe   attachment-231653.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

About 3 weeks ago I bought a beautiful 301a..2 tone in a case...and cleaned her all up...in the last 2 weeks or so, I have found 2 more...one 2 tone and 1 black both with cabinets...one is coming tonight...2 hours away and I "think" I found someone who can pick it up for me..the other one is 4 hours away and I am still arranging pickup...I am very happy....
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by julia58
I have a 401a that I would not ever give up. It is a true workhorse. Hope I get lucky one day, and find a 301 at a good price. I love to sew on vintage machines. When the computerized ones are in the shop getting fixed because the motherboard went out, I will still be stitching along. Unless the power goes out!!!

Or unless you get a treadle!!!

:lol: :lol:
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
About 3 weeks ago I bought a beautiful 301a..2 tone in a case...and cleaned her all up...in the last 2 weeks or so, I have found 2 more...one 2 tone and 1 black both with cabinets...one is coming tonight...2 hours away and I "think" I found someone who can pick it up for me..the other one is 4 hours away and I am still arranging pickup...I am very happy....
YOU SHOULD BE...JEALOUS....But I have two...I guess I'm still happy
Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM

My 301 was advertised as a heavy duty machine, which it is not, but it is capable of any household sewing. It doesn't need to be babied because it is light. The gears and inner working are all full size and good steel. Only the housing is aluminum. Mine came with four layers of leather under the presser foot with rows of stitching.. My daughter was fascinated and played with it. I had her stop. It is not an industrial machine. If I want to sew four layers of leather - and I have, I'll use the Elna or Necchi. The Elna loves that kind of sewing. I haven't tried with the Necchi.