Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Gift Bag >

Christmas Gift Bag

Christmas Gift Bag

Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 AM

What a wonderful niece you are! I was thinking more of a combination of what others have suggested. Throw in some consumables, i.e. rotary blades, marking pens, glass head pins and add a gift certificate to a local store. That way she has something to open but can use the gift card later for something special.

Another thought, if you know where she shops, they may already know about what things she might need or like.

One last thought, a gift to both of you would be to ask her to teach you how to quilt!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM

Thank You all for such great ideas. I have done gift cards earlier, so I was thinking of going a different route this time. Gift cards are definitely easier to do and I realize that she has most of the stuff she needs. I like the ideas presented here. Here is what I have gleaned from from all of your suggestions: Pins, rotary cutter, marking Pens, Double-sided fusible, fat quarters, specialty ruler, Machine needles, good quality thread in neutral colors . I will be spending some time on Amazon to find products in these categories (and also ask my aunt if she has any preferences). Also, will try to figure out a local quilting store, I have never been to any place other than Joann. Thank you so Much for your time and suggestions!!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM

I would also recommend gift cards, preferably from a local shop but if you aren't local there are many wonderful on-line shops as well. I'm sure we can give you some recommendations on those if you want!

There are always a few things that I'd like to get but cost is keeping me back, but I truly have everything I need for what I do. And while some people truly do everything, I think most of us have a comfort zone or a point of view and so while one person may rave about something, another person (like me!) would have absolutely no use for it even if it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I know my non-sewing friends and relatives think I "sew" but really I only quilt any more and that is more accurately described as machine sewn piece work. I don't do hand work or applique or garment construction or a bunch of other things like embroidery any more either.

I think the greatest thing you can do is share your appreciation and interest in what she does. A lot of hobbyists (no matter what you do) are not well understood by the people they love especially since they get to see the failures as well as the successes. I've been trying to get my son and DiL to give me some ideas for more than a year now on what to do for the quilt I'd like to make in honor of their wedding (wedding was in June). Sure, I can make up my own mind about what to do for them (and I already have the wedding themed fabric I'd like to use for the back), but I'd really like a little input on colors or design or something to make sure it's something they like as well.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Yes! Learning to quilt is on my list. But! before going there, I have to learn to work my new sewing machine :-)
I was so excited when I bought it.....still have to bring it out of the box and learn to thread it....
Now only if a day had more than 24 hours.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I recommend a gift card too. Several years ago, one on my daughters who does not sew ask me what I needed--nothing really but said Pins---I still have enough pins to last me a lifetime ! She is a sweetie though.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM

A bespoke quilt!! What a wonderful gift idea!!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM

:-)
How many pins are enough pins for quilting though?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
:-)
How many pins are enough pins for quilting though?
How many it depends on the person, but they do wear out. The question should be what kind of pins.

Glass head, flat head, and curved basting pins are staples for most quilters.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 PM

I also think that a gift card to her favorite quilt shop would be best, that way she can get whatever she wants.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:09 AM

I would also suggest a gift card, attached to a bag of good chocolates.