Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Gift Bag >

Christmas Gift Bag

Christmas Gift Bag

Old 09-22-2018, 03:13 AM

My son often gets me a gift certificate to Joann Fabrics. I love it! I use it mostly for batting, thread, zippers, and other notions. If your aunt is a seasoned quilter, you might pick a color (her favorite, if you know it) and buy a variety of fat quarters or even yardage, depending on your budget, in that color. My mother does this for me now and then, and it's among my favorite gifts.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
Thank You all for such great ideas. I have done gift cards earlier, so I was thinking of going a different route this time. Gift cards are definitely easier to do and I realize that she has most of the stuff she needs. I like the ideas presented here. Here is what I have gleaned from from all of your suggestions: Pins, rotary cutter, marking Pens, Double-sided fusible, fat quarters, specialty ruler, Machine needles, good quality thread in neutral colors . I will be spending some time on Amazon to find products in these categories (and also ask my aunt if she has any preferences). Also, will try to figure out a local quilting store, I have never been to any place other than Joann. Thank you so Much for your time and suggestions!!
My first thought was blades for her rotary cutter or extra bobbins for her machine. I'm not a fan of fat quarters. I guess I fear running out of a piece that I need. My recommendation is a gift card to JoAnn's or some store such as that. The gift can be stretched by using their coupons. It can be used for batting or other supplies, not necessarily fabric if she is a quilt shop quilter. Fabrics/fat quarters you choose may not be to her liking. Too, those stores have supplies for other hobbies and winter is great for yarn projects.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:31 AM

Do you live close to this special aunt and is she a beginning or advanced quilter? Answers to these questions might make a difference in what you choose to do for her. If she is only beginning she may not have need for some of the more advanced tools and if advanced she may have no need for the simple things you choose. Her local quilt shop should be able to give you some information in regard to the last question. How about enjoying a Quilter's Holiday with her. Pick her up at her home and take her to a nice place where you can share lunch together. Skip dessert and then take her to her quilt shop. Enjoy browsing together and ask her what items she has and what items she would want to add to her collection of tools, fabric, or patterns. There may even be a book or magazine subscription that she would enjoy. If she picks out only a few items you can always finish with a gift card. You may learn some things from her in that store visit and you will know that you are not buying things which will end up on a shelf or in a drawer. Top your day off with a visit to a coffee shop for something rich and gooey to finish your day. You might even find a quilt show at some point which you could visit together. This would create more together time for you and your aunt and I feel might be something she would enjoy. Just thought I would mention this idea. I know it would work for me.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:49 AM

Absolutely wonderful thought, but, if she is a quilter, she probably has the tools she wants. Having said that, there are things that always need replaced. These would include needles and rotary cutter blades (the basic is a 45mm). If you can visit her, sneak into her room and look at her machine. Then any sewing center can help you with needles. If you are sneaky (?), you can draw her into a conversation about quilting and how she does it, the hard parts, what would make things easier, etc. Listen carefully and she might let something slip about what would help her. And a gift card to a fabric store is wonderful Normally I feel that gift cards are sort of impersonal - BUT - a fabric card for a quilter IS WONDERFUL!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM

I second abc123xyz's suggestion.

Take your aunt out for a day of shopping where you present her with a gift card at her favorite quilt shop. You will be making memories which is priceless.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Your aunt will be most appreciative of anything you choose, but spending the day/lunch with her and then shopping sounds wonderful!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 AM

I agree with Tartan that a gift certificate would be a great idea and then she could get what she either needed or wanted.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
I second abc123xyz's suggestion.

Take your aunt out for a day of shopping where you present her with a gift card at her favorite quilt shop. You will be making memories which is priceless.
I think this is an excellent idea! Since you are interested in learning quilting, this will also give you a chance to get inspired to actually start.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 AM

Thank You ladies. I spent some time this weekend on Amazon and came across these items:
https://www.amazon.com/21739-Taylor-...f=sr_1_fkmr2_1

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Sevill...8-1&ref=sr_1_1

and also this
https://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-...8-6&ref=sr_1_6
https://www.amazon.com/Clover-MCI-90...32&ref=sr_1_32

If any of you have thoughts on these please let me know.

abc123xyz I love your suggestion but to achieve that I will have to break the bank and fly to her:-( She has been doing this for a while now so I think she has most of the things.

After looking at some things online, I was toying with the idea of finding her something really novel and innovative, maybe something that she has been using regularly but with an added feature for ease... So I came across those pins that looked different (a bit pricey for pins) and the mini iron and a few other things. Please share your experience if any of you have used these. I will keep looking and maybe ask for her input too. If nothing jumps out, I will go the gift card route.
Thank You again for such wonderful ideas and your patience and willingness to spare time.

I really, really, appreciate it.