Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I stopped exchanging Christmas gifts due to the fact that it seemed ridiculous when so many people were hurting and we had so much. Started 2 years ago donating to the local food shelter for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I don't feel I am cheap but that my family, both in-laws and outlaws have enough!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
I would love to give handmade gifts, but unfortunately my family doesn't appreciate them. Maybe someday.
their mistake-handmade is made with love-store bought is just something to appease the masses
Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Just lately I came across a pattern to make a tissue box cover. I`m sure you could make it out of your stash. One looked like a davenport & one A over stuffed arm chair. One was for the flat box of tissues & one for the square. I think you could find the pattern under butterwick patterns.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 PM

I too make most of my Christmas presents, be it knitted or crochet.........hats, scarves, lapghan or afghan. I also knitted some scarves using eye lash yarn. Little girls love to use them for dress up. I would like to quilt a quillo for my g-children. This way they can watch tv on the floor and not get too cold in the winter. One year I sewed some christmas strips and made a table runner. These were well received as they were very cheerful. Happy quilting and I need to get started. Have just too many ideas.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
Originally Posted by mucky
I would love to give handmade gifts, but unfortunately my family doesn't appreciate them. Maybe someday.
their mistake-handmade is made with love-store bought is just something to appease the masses
That would depend upon what the gift is. My DH and I give many lovely gifts that it isn't possible to make at home. We gave one GD a set of silverware, another a set of good kitchen knives. Things that are selected personally for someone with love carry as much love as something you stitch up.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Potato bags for the microwave would be appreciated by many. Look for 100 cotton batting with your JoAnn's coupon and use only cotton thread.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Always try to make homemade gifts. This year doing some potholders from stash that reflect my friends or families tastes. One friend likes cherries for example. For sisters am making a block for each Christmas and birthday till they have 20 then will make Christmas throw quilt. Trying to really get all debts paid and love using my stash.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Also make fudge and cookies or spiced nuts a small remembrance for some dear old friends.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Am making pillow cases for my kids and grandkids. Plan on getting each of them a pillow and pair of pillowcases.I know all of them can use pillows!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM

I think home made gifts are an excellent idea. But just try and not let your feelings get hurt if the family isn't always appreciative as you think they should be. Look how many times people work so hard on a quilt (put in all that time, effort of love, and material expense) and some people just don't appreciate it at all.

If you want to make the guys in your family quilts, maybe in the course of conversation you could ask them which of these patterns do you like the best. Maybe sometime people aren't appreciative because they just don't like the pattern.