Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me

I agree! It's adorable just as it is. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    Am I reading the insert of your picture? The picture is NOT one of Your quilt. If that is so, would you post a picture of your quilt because (today I am abit dense) and I can't see what is wrong with the quilt. I am trying to learn what I can so that is my reason for this request. Thanks and if I am in error I think your quilt is lovely and cute.
    LOL-you are not dense....for the first time I am trying to follow a pattern exactly...no cheating and "working ahead"....so as you can see mine is all in pieces....

Hopefully I can finish putting all of the flying geese together today...can not believe how long it takes me to do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by reevesfarm
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    Am I reading the insert of your picture? The picture is NOT one of Your quilt. If that is so, would you post a picture of your quilt because (today I am abit dense) and I can't see what is wrong with the quilt. I am trying to learn what I can so that is my reason for this request. Thanks and if I am in error I think your quilt is lovely and cute.
    LOL-you are not dense....for the first time I am trying to follow a pattern exactly...no cheating and "working ahead"....so as you can see mine is all in pieces....

Well, so far it's looking good, and yes I'm just like you! I tend to 'get ahead' of the pattern/instructions and make things as I think will be better and in my order. When I do it the pattern's way, it's usually 'off' or takes longer than it should!
    Can't wait to see your quilt finished- it will be darling!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Hopefully I can finish putting all of the flying geese together today...can not believe how long it takes me to do that.

Blog Entries
    reevesfarm I think you need to check your measurements. Making FG and then joining them like this your measurements need to be very accurate. I don't know why anyone would make FG that way then sew them side by side. ( I understand you are following a pattern)
    Making the geese this way you need to leave the base fabric on the back so you have something to line your square up against.
    Link:- http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

Try this link.There are 3 different methods of making geese. The last one is so fast and easy and there is absolutely no waste. It's the only way I make them now.

There's a problem with THIS quilt??? It's adorable!

I love this pattern! The girls in my guild are making one for our retiring president right now! We each made a chick with fabric from our own stashes and they're a riot! The extra chicks were put on the back... which is making the hand quilting quite challenging!
    When you're making your Flying Geese, are you cutting the pieces carefully and piecing them with an accurate 1/4" seam? Make them a little oversized and then trim them down to the perfect size and for perfect points. If you measure the sides of the quilt, you can then adjust the geese to match that measurement.
    I think that if you want to fudge somewhere, the center goose on each side or the corners are where I would do it. NO one says you gotta do this quilt exactly as the picture, it's your quilt.

Adorable just the way it is!

Looks to me like your piecing is the cluprit. It is very difficult to get everything the correct size, especially when working with bias edges. Here is a site that I refer to to make my flying geese. They come out great every time. You still need to have the correct seam allowance. That is the key to all your piecing. Just think, if every seam is only a 1/16th off, that can easily add inches to the finished size. *Multiply each seam by this amount and you either get a piece that is too large or too small* I always use a scant 1/4th. To get this accurately, take a index card and sew your normal seam on the card. Now look at the lines and see where they line up against the sewing line. The sewing should be off 'just a little' and not exactly on the lines on the card. This is done because when we press our pieces to one side, it 'takes up' some of the threads. This is especially important with a quilt with lots of smaller pieces.

http://www.patchpieces.com/sharingpatch.html

OOPS! sorry this got so long. Quilting can be very frustrating at times. Just keep going. Use the 10 foot rule and all will be great!!

Made my first flying geese, now I am supposed to join the geese to form the 4 strips that will be the border...except that they are NOT making nice clean pointy triangles.....

The cream is the base triangle with a smaller green triangle on each side...they are joined with the cream on the bottom...so the green triangles should form a new larger triangle...but mine are not lining up properly..............

VERY frustrating.

Any ideas?
    Might try making HSTs instead of flying geese. Either that or draw out the border for paper piecing.

Don't be so hard on yourself :) I think your quilt is sooo cute. That little "chubby chick is adorable! The whole quilt looks great. :thumbup:

It is s-o-o cute just the way it is!!! We are critical of our own work, where others don't see...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I'm sorry I can't help, but I think its sooooo cute just the way it is!!!
    I totally agree! That is super cute!

Blog Entries
    Darling just the way it is. I would love to have the pattern just for the chicks, could I?

quiltsrus

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For the FG they had me cut 3.5 inch green squares and 3.5X6.5 inch rectangles...I put a square on the end, sewed a diagonal line and cut the excess...lather, rinse repeat....
    Do you mark the diagonal line on the green square and sew on the line?
    Do you press the green triangle half back or do you finger press it before you place the green square on the opposite side? I do not trim my excess until the FG unit is fully assembled because pressing can distort things.
    Do you use a scant 1/4" when you sew the FG units together?
    Do you pin the FG units together before sewing them together?

These are all things that I can think to check.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Oopsy...this photo is not mine, it is a stock photo for that pattern...sorry. I included it hoping that it would clarify my issue.

I vaguely remembered reading a comment about this part of the pattern and the person said something about them being set in "prairie point"

I have no idea what that means.
    If it indeed is a Prairie point then shouldnt it be kinda 3-d ish ??? From the Prairie points that Ive made, the only part sewed is the bottom of the triangle the other two sides shld just be just folded fabric.. Google Prairie points on Utubefor a tut.. There's gotta be a tut on it..

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    For the FG they had me cut 3.5 inch green squares and 3.5X6.5 inch rectangles...I put a square on the end, sewed a diagonal line and cut the excess...lather, rinse repeat....
    Do you mark the diagonal line on the green square and sew on the line?
    Do you press the green triangle half back or do you finger press it before you place the green square on the opposite side? I do not trim my excess until the FG unit is fully assembled because pressing can distort things.
    Do you use a scant 1/4" when you sew the FG units together?
    Do you pin the FG units together before sewing them together?

These are all things that I can think to check.
    Yes, I drew/sewed the line, then pressed it back to the green, and then do the other side.

I finally got all of them sewn together...am in the process of construction now....

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Which points are getting cut off??? The little green ones on the side? How did you make the FG? I pp mine, especailly when I'm making long runs for borders. When I do them that way I always have perfect points on each one.
    Can you post a pic of what is happening? The quilt is darling and the FG will be sooo cute!!
    Sorry for a silly question but I am new to quilting.What is FG and PP please :?: :D

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Which points are getting cut off??? The little green ones on the side? How did you make the FG? I pp mine, especailly when I'm making long runs for borders. When I do them that way I always have perfect points on each one.
    Can you post a pic of what is happening? The quilt is darling and the FG will be sooo cute!!
    I think the picture she is showing us is the original pattern picture not her finished quilt. It sounds like she's just starting to make the flying geese.

I would paper piece the flying geese I think you get better points and if you leave the paper on the back until you're its easier to match up and you have a sewing line.

look great to me don't be so picky I always ask if you can see it from the boardwalk( can you tell I'm from the Jersey shore)

Beautiful. I would leave as is.

Blog Entries
    Gosh...you can sure tell from some of these posts that people don't read the entire thread! :shock::lol:! Anyway..I'm glad you've gotten them sewn together now. Putting the on the quilt the way the pattern told you to do it in this case is HARD! No matter what method you use..your dimensions would have to be spot on to make it work. I'll be honest..everytime I've done a border like this or similar, I've PP'd (paper pieced) and I've left the paper on until I have it sewn to the quilt. Otherwise, heck...I'm just not that good....I love how yours is coming together though!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berta48
    Sorry for a silly question but I am new to quilting.What is FG and PP please :?: :D
    FG = Flying Geese
    PP = Paper Piecing

Sorry, I sometimes get lazy and do the "texting" shortcuts thing. lol

oh goodie, hurry up and figure it out cuz i have this pattern too!!! i got mine from nancy's notions, but if you figure out the problem then i won't have too!! LOL

dont see a thing wrong with it..real cute

hmmmm...I recently made this quilt and did not have this problem. I'm having problems picturing exactly what you are describing. I do know I starched heavily because you don't want to stretch those sides that are bias. And pin a lot before sewing.

After looking at your photo I'm not sure I see the problem. Once you get the fabrics sewn on either side of this strip it should look pretty good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast