Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me >

Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me

Chubby Chick Quilt trying to kill me

Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 AM

I love this pattern! The girls in my guild are making one for our retiring president right now! We each made a chick with fabric from our own stashes and they're a riot! The extra chicks were put on the back... which is making the hand quilting quite challenging!
When you're making your Flying Geese, are you cutting the pieces carefully and piecing them with an accurate 1/4" seam? Make them a little oversized and then trim them down to the perfect size and for perfect points. If you measure the sides of the quilt, you can then adjust the geese to match that measurement.
I think that if you want to fudge somewhere, the center goose on each side or the corners are where I would do it. NO one says you gotta do this quilt exactly as the picture, it's your quilt.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 AM

Adorable just the way it is!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 AM

Looks to me like your piecing is the cluprit. It is very difficult to get everything the correct size, especially when working with bias edges. Here is a site that I refer to to make my flying geese. They come out great every time. You still need to have the correct seam allowance. That is the key to all your piecing. Just think, if every seam is only a 1/16th off, that can easily add inches to the finished size. *Multiply each seam by this amount and you either get a piece that is too large or too small* I always use a scant 1/4th. To get this accurately, take a index card and sew your normal seam on the card. Now look at the lines and see where they line up against the sewing line. The sewing should be off 'just a little' and not exactly on the lines on the card. This is done because when we press our pieces to one side, it 'takes up' some of the threads. This is especially important with a quilt with lots of smaller pieces.

http://www.patchpieces.com/sharingpatch.html

OOPS! sorry this got so long. Quilting can be very frustrating at times. Just keep going. Use the 10 foot rule and all will be great!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by reevesfarm
Made my first flying geese, now I am supposed to join the geese to form the 4 strips that will be the border...except that they are NOT making nice clean pointy triangles.....

The cream is the base triangle with a smaller green triangle on each side...they are joined with the cream on the bottom...so the green triangles should form a new larger triangle...but mine are not lining up properly..............

VERY frustrating.

Any ideas?
Might try making HSTs instead of flying geese. Either that or draw out the border for paper piecing.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself :) I think your quilt is sooo cute. That little "chubby chick is adorable! The whole quilt looks great. :thumbup:
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM

It is s-o-o cute just the way it is!!! We are critical of our own work, where others don't see...

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I'm sorry I can't help, but I think its sooooo cute just the way it is!!!
I totally agree! That is super cute!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Darling just the way it is. I would love to have the pattern just for the chicks, could I?

quiltsrus
Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

For the FG they had me cut 3.5 inch green squares and 3.5X6.5 inch rectangles...I put a square on the end, sewed a diagonal line and cut the excess...lather, rinse repeat....
Do you mark the diagonal line on the green square and sew on the line?
Do you press the green triangle half back or do you finger press it before you place the green square on the opposite side? I do not trim my excess until the FG unit is fully assembled because pressing can distort things.
Do you use a scant 1/4" when you sew the FG units together?
Do you pin the FG units together before sewing them together?

These are all things that I can think to check.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Oopsy...this photo is not mine, it is a stock photo for that pattern...sorry. I included it hoping that it would clarify my issue.

I vaguely remembered reading a comment about this part of the pattern and the person said something about them being set in "prairie point"

I have no idea what that means.
If it indeed is a Prairie point then shouldnt it be kinda 3-d ish ??? From the Prairie points that Ive made, the only part sewed is the bottom of the triangle the other two sides shld just be just folded fabric.. Google Prairie points on Utubefor a tut.. There's gotta be a tut on it..