Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Church raffle quilt suggestions

Church raffle quilt suggestions

So I decided to start a quilt group at my church. Now that I have several people express interest, the nerves are setting in. Our first task is to sew a raffle quilt, to fundraise for the school. My thought was to have each member sew x number of blocks, using their own stash, possibly keeping it all to navy blue and white (but will obviously be scrappy). I once read that "star" patterns get the most interest from ticket buyers. Do you have any advice on a star pattern/layout that is suitable for all levels of quilter? What size sells the best?
    OR, any other pattern suggestions, or advice, on getting this going?
    thanks in advance.

I think a nice size lap quilt would be good since you are a new group. Not knowing the levels of experience I would find a pattern that could be easily squared up if needed. I found that raffles do better than auctions. Good luck. I'm sure you will do a great job

Blog Entries
    I worked with a group making a few quilts for raffle. We picked a set block, color scheme, and size. Made the blocks then I brought it home and put the top together, someone else sewed on the binding, we all got together and finished the hand sewing part of the binding. It was fun! Maybe you should think about a simple star pattern, if you have new quilters you can add a sashing to square them up before completing the top. We sent it out to be quilted..

Friendship Star is easy for any level and can be done using only two or three fabrics.
    jackie

Everyone's 1/4" is different. I might suggest a block where there is a "fudge factor".

I would suggest a star block (or whatever block you decide on) with some sort of border around it. Since you have all levels of quilters, sometimes it's hard to make an "exact" 12 1/2" block (or 8 1/2" or 10 1/2", etc). So if the block has a border around it, it can easily be trimmed to the right size without cutting off the points of the star.

Here's a nice Star that can have some error proofing built in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tsnBBKzSghY

Blog Entries
    Have a look at this thread https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-...s-t299532.html
    It's a great pattern for different levels of quilting skills.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Start with an easy pattern that can be enhanced by color. That way no one will be stressed out.

My group makes a lot of raffle quilts for different events we vend at. Our favorite block is this one: No worry about the points getting cut off on any block. It is excellent for beginners

https://atkinsondesigns.com/collecti...-stars-pattern
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would be hesitant to have everyone use their own stash - because of both quality and color. A really simple pattern with a fudge factor is very important - not everyone’s good enough is good enough.

Blog Entries
    You could have a star block alternating with an easier block like 4-patch or railroad. That way the more experienced could do the stars with points. I would also suggest making sure they use 100% cotton.

My church group made a red, white and blue rail fence that sold well at a silent auction. It’s an easy pattern for beginners. May I suggest pooling your money to buy fabric? Craftsy has a great deal today on their split rail liberty song kit.

Don't want to discourage your plans but our church has very strict rules to follow from the State of Indiana regarding raffles because they consider it gambling and we have to pay for a licence. Just might want to check before getting too far in. We hate it but we follow their rules.��

Years ago I took a quilt class with 2 alternating blocks. One was a paper pieced star and the other was a 9 patch. I was a beginner and it was easy enough for me. Lots of fudge factor also.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by emcay View Post
    Don't want to discourage your plans but our church has very strict rules to follow from the State of Indiana regarding raffles because they consider it gambling and we have to pay for a licence. Just might want to check before getting too far in. We hate it but we follow their rules.��
    We have some rules about that here that my DAR chapter got around by not selling "tickets" they sold "voices". They sure looked like tickets to me But it seemed to keep us out of trouble.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Don't make a bed size quilt. Make up to a twin size or throw size. When you get into bed sizes, people will not purchase because they don't have a double, queen or king. Or it doesn't go with their color scheme of their bedroom. If you do a scrappy, all color throw, it can be folded over a couch or across the foot of a bed in a bright pop of color. Ours are often Florida colors. My church group was into making bed size quilts when I joined them. What a pain that was. They were too huge, hard to handle and people wanted them for about $50. We don't raffle them but sell items at a craft fair.

Who will be buying the tickets? If it is a fundraiser for the school, are you expecting parents to buy tickets? If so, something with school colors or mascot might be appealing. If the school is for young children, then involvement of the children is an idea. Either artwork or hand prints (2 handprints can make a heart shape) alternating with simple blocks might draw support from parents who would like to have the quilt for the child to remember friends by.