Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Civil War colors >

Civil War colors

Civil War colors

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Civil War colors

I am going to make a civil war quilt with a Confederate Generals panel and a Army of the Potomic Generals panel. Im having a hard time deciding if I should use grey or butternut with the Confederate part of the quilt. I have the blues pretty much purchased for the Union side. I know there is probaby no "right or wrong" color but would like some suggestions on the Confederate colors. Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM

he color most often seen is association with the Confederacy is gray...
Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks Momto5. I have a lot of gray but also some butternut brown. I just love the civil war fabrics! Have seen both associated with the Confederacy and wanted to know what others thought would be the most appropriate.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Those who had or could afford it wore gray - those who couldn't: butternut Maybe you could represent both
Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Thats a great idea! The panel I have has greys and browns in it. I cant wait to get started on the quilt...wish I didnt have to work for a living, Id be home sewing for FUN!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

I have both panels...the confederate generals and the northern generals...have been trying to decide on colors myself!
I automatically thought about the gray (probably a blued gray) but want to also add some other colors with it. Of course, I will use some of the browns (butternut sounds great) and I have to add in a little red (on both) for the blood that was shed. Such a sad, sad, war.
It took me a long time to find the Southern Generals Panel...I even called the first place I ordered it from and they said it WAS southern....but...I was a little take back when it was Grant instead of Lee who showed up at my door! LOL
Have you decided on pattern yet?
Keep us posted on your progress. I won't be able to start on mine til later as I've promised myself that I will get some of my UFOs finished!
Enjoy making your quilt!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM

As someone said earlier, gray was the color of the "official" uniform, for those that could afford it, , many (probably most)) wore the butternut or, to be honest with you, just whatever they had on their back when they left home homespun woolen pants, whatever color they had and an off-white woolen top
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM

I found the Confederate panel quickly but had to look and look for the Union. Its called the "Army of the Potomic" instead of Union Army panel. I definately will have some red in mine. I think Im going with a steal grey for the Confederate then some reproduction material in brown with red tiny flags on it around the panel. On the Union it will be blue with blue tiny flag material. Ill surround them probably with browns and greys and blue stars of some kind with red sashing. But then again Ill probably change my mind several times before its done! LOL. I also have a quilt Im trying to finish for my son and daughter in law plus 2 antique quilts to hand quilt and 3 stacks of blocks from the swap Im in that I havent gotten done yet...ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE BLOCKS! Addictive and relaxing at the same time. The Civil war period is the most interesting to me, always has been so I definately want to finish this quilt. I think I must have been a "southern lady" in my other life!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Wow,I hardly know what to tell you. There really was no Confederate "uniform" ,they wore whatever they could
lay hands on. Personally,though, I would go with shades of gray.