Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
civil war quilts >

civil war quilts

civil war quilts

Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

I will comment on the origional post who said she wanted to make a unique quilt.

First. I have never seen an authentic Civil War quilt made up of many sampler blocks. This to me is a 20 th century invention. I have seen medallion quilts of thar era but no sampler. So, if I were making a "Civil War" quilt, I would
Pick a block which has some meaning or inspiration to me or family heritage. Make it scrappy or controlled, scrappy is probably more authentic.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:03 PM

How about a Dear Jane quilt?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

I put Dear Jane in an entirely different category. To me a "Civil War" quilt is one which has a design in general use at the time.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Grace, Do what you like, it will be beautiful and uniquely yours! Enjoy the journey!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Elise, Your quilt is beautiful and looks just awesome on statue. That s most appropriate. I am still on the hunt for what I am going to do, but considering the pattern you choose as it is so nice. How did you quilt this, I would love to see a close up of the quilting. It is much admired.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I will comment on the origional post who said she wanted to make a unique quilt.

First. I have never seen an authentic Civil War quilt made up of many sampler blocks. This to me is a 20 th century invention. I have seen medallion quilts of thar era but no sampler. So, if I were making a "Civil War" quilt, I would
Pick a block which has some meaning or inspiration to me or family heritage. Make it scrappy or controlled, scrappy is probably more authentic.

Holice, How interesting you say sampler's are a 20th century invention. I would like to do some investigating about this . Do you have a clue as to where I would begin, you seem to know about this some and I would love to learn. However, I may or may not contribute to this invention.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Grace, Do what you like, it will be beautiful and uniquely yours! Enjoy the journey!
Thank you Jo
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
How about a Dear Jane quilt?
O my How I admire Dear Jane quilts but unsure if I could begin to tackle something as such.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM

I do like your log cabin Ester and that was my original thought, but not sure if that's how I want to go anymore. I spend so much time thinking about what I want to do and that is so much of the time I spend.
Originally Posted by haylillan View Post
here is pic of my reproduction 1800s fabrics log cabin pattern
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

I have a rather red face tonight over my statement about sampler quilts being a 20 th century invention. I googled History of the sampler quilt...and read an article by Robert Shaw. This is a most interesting article. He says the style dates to early 1800's. Baltimore album quilts are certainly samplers of a sort. Statements are also in his as well as other references that sampler types were used as teaching projects. Having said all this, I don't recall many samplers of the era standing out as being a common and popular style.