Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
civil war quilts >

civil war quilts

civil war quilts

Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

Under ground rail road sampler from Quilt in a Day

The book has easy ways of doing traditional blocks. I just finished a large twin for one of my daughters and it looks amazing. The instructions are easy to follow and the book it self is interesting to page through or read.

http://quiltinaday.com/shoponline/bo...lay.asp?i=1497
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
when i first began quilting i planned on making a civil war log cabin, but it was one of those quilts that never happened. Well I am again getting the itch to make a civil war quilt, but not a log cabin. After spending so much time in the south a log cabin is not the way I want to go with this quilt. Any idea's on blocks to use. I have seen some block of the month quilt's that are nice but I'm really not into the block of the month deal either. Pictures of civil war quilts would also be welcome on this post as they are so nice to admire and info about civil war quilts is also interesting.
Check out Quilter's Cache and do a sampler of Civil War patterns. They have all sizes and shapes, designs, whatever you need. I always use Quilter's Cache and I love it. Go for the names of the blocks - There are a lot of them and also you can pick what you like. Good luck - I find that finding the blocks I want just as, if not more so, exciting as sewing the blocks. Enjoy. Edie
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I have a rather red face tonight over my statement about sampler quilts being a 20 th century invention. I googled History of the sampler quilt...and read an article by Robert Shaw. This is a most interesting article. He says the style dates to early 1800's. Baltimore album quilts are certainly samplers of a sort. Statements are also in his as well as other references that sampler types were used as teaching projects. Having said all this, I don't recall many samplers of the era standing out as being a common and popular style.
It's my understanding that sampler quilts were often made as a way of keeping a record of the quilter's patterns, too.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

I love the Barbara Brackman CW quilts, and all the blocks are available on her blog. http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2...+War+Quilts%29
The 2014 December block isn't available until Saturday.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Default civil war quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449561[/ATTACH] I did the General's wives quilt, it was a block of the month. Each block was named after a civil war general's wife. I would say it was more of a sampler using reproduction civil war era fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails img_0885.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Default Civil war quilt

Here is one I did as a block of the month
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 AM

If you have ever seen Sherman's March in any of your searches, I have the entire quilt fabric, backing, pattern for anyone who might want to do it. I was going to do it for my son's birthday, and after reading the background stories on the Civil War quilts, didn't make it for him. His name is Sherman, and he was born in Sumter, SC, so I thought I was really on top of my game if I made it for him. So I have the whole thing bagged up, getting rid of it; in black and white mostly, if I remember correctly. PM me for price, etc.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Another designer is "Jo Morton" for Andover Fabrics.......she offers 'Jo's Little Women" Clubs at some quilt stores. . . . has many books out, etc.
I do like Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler by C&T Publishing, and Judy Rothmel has outstanding items too.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
KLO

Grace, I was never much into Civil War Quilts even though I do now live in the South, just not a native. Anyway, I do like some of the fabrics but not all. So, I found this quilt that I really like because of all the brown fabrics and the pop of the red stars. Also, it looks fairly easy .... except for the quilting of course. Yikes! Love the quilting but could I do it? Very questionable for me but maybe not for you. So check it out. Just another one to add to your thought process but now you are probably over burdened with choices. Sorry!

http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...otos-here.html
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Grace creates;6431579]when i first began quilting i planned on making a civil war log cabin, but it was one of those quilts that never happened. Well I am again getting the itch to make a civil war quilt, but not a log cabin. After spending so much time in the south a log cabin is not the way I want to go with this quilt. Any idea's on blocks to use. I have seen some block of the month quilt's that are nice but I'm really not into the block of the month deal either. Pictures of civil war quilts would also be welcome on this post as they are so nice to admire and info about civil war quilts is also interesting.[/QUOTE

You could "google" a BOM/blogs and look for links to BOM's that are already done, so you don't have to wait for each new block pattern. I have two saved on my computer to try sometime this winter. I want to try a Baltimore album quilt someday too.