Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
classes put on by guild >

classes put on by guild

classes put on by guild

Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Default classes put on by guild

I went to a class today and worked on a quilt pattern by a nationally known quilt maker which was taught by one of her certified instructors. Good class and it was held at a LQS.
The lady in my guild,who set it up, required a 25.00 deposit to hold the space. If we didn't show up ,we lost our money. Since the class had a limited number of spaces, I understood. But from what she has said, she is planning on continuing this practise for future classes, even those held at out normal location and taught by guild members.
If the class doesn't cost anything and doesn't have limited space, why would I give a deposit? I probably won't sign up either cause I am not interested in possibility losing my money if something unavoidable comes up.
Is this being unreasonable on my part? I understand that she wants people to come, but I really can't afford to lose money like that. I'd be worried the whole time that something would interfere and there goes 25.00 bucks.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 PM

I'm thinking maybe the reason for the deposit is to get people to actually attend and not just say they'll come. Then when the day comes and the teacher is there and everything is a "go," no one shows up because they had something else to do.
Could you talk to this lady privately and state your concern over not getting a refund if something really, truly horrible prevents you from attending (death in the family, an illness, etc.)? Maybe she'll think about it and amend the refund policy.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM

I agree. I think you need to voice your concerns to her. Maybe she can agree to a full refund if you give a 24 hour notice that you can't attend. That is a common policy for many businesses. If you can give a 24 hour notice, she should be able to get a replacement student if she keeps a waiting list of quilters who were too late to be included initially.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Another thought: With future classes, where there is no fee and space is not limited, couldn't you just show up for the class at the appointed time? That way you wouldn't be risking $25, and you could say you didn't give a deposit because you thought you couldn't attend. And in the end you were able to attend.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:48 PM

I do agree about talking to her. Hopefully she will be sympathetic to a good reason for one not attending.
I think the showing up on the day is a good idea, thanks.
Wanted to say, she really is a nice lady. I'm just very frugal, like a lot of us I'm sure.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 PM

I agree with JustAbitCrazy, if there is no fee and space is not limited just show up for class! I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Everyone's time is valuable. If I were to get up early, refuse social opportunities I would have otherwise enjoyed, and spent several hours preparing to teach a class, I would be very upset if no one showed up because 'something came up.' Often, what comes up is something in the line of, 'I didn't feel like going out today'; 'my daughter asked me to go shopping'; 'a friend called to go to lunch.'

No-shows are a nightmare in many professions and that's why people charge a fee in advance. I'm with those who charge a fee for non-emergency no-shows.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Some of us DO HAVE TO BE frugal so I totally understand. I would talk to her privately explaining your concerns. It is totally understandable to have people show up when the instructor is guaranteed a certain amount for teaching the class.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I think asking for $25 dollars in advance for holding a spot at your regular meeting is okay IF you get it back when you attend. Could that be what she is planning?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS View Post
Everyone's time is valuable. If I were to get up early, refuse social opportunities I would have otherwise enjoyed, and spent several hours preparing to teach a class, I would be very upset if no one showed up because 'something came up.' Often, what comes up is something in the line of, 'I didn't feel like going out today'; 'my daughter asked me to go shopping'; 'a friend called to go to lunch.'

No-shows are a nightmare in many professions and that's why people charge a fee in advance. I'm with those who charge a fee for non-emergency no-shows.
As one who has scheduled/taught classes, I agree. I don't believe I ever had someone miss a class for a true emergency.