Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
classes put on by guild >

classes put on by guild

classes put on by guild

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think asking for $25 dollars in advance for holding a spot at your regular meeting is okay IF you get it back when you attend. Could that be what she is planning?
I have been in clubs that would pay the entrance fee for members to attend. Then they did not attend, so the club lost the money. So we started collecting a check for the amount of the fee from the members when they said they would attend. We purchased the tickets from the treasury. When they attended, we gave back their checks. Those not attending, we cashed the checks to cover the loss of the ticket price.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 AM

I think $25 is reasonable as a deposit for a nationally known instructor. For a local member in a local setting a lower amount may be reasonable, such as $5 to $10. There may be fees for the group/room that you don't know about, or donations to the location that are made/expected. If it's at a church or school, there may be people who have to work late/on another day to allow you to be there. In any case, there would be a limited number of spaces, so they would have some minimum number of people in mind, and a known maximum.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I belong to three guilds. The program chairs have a yearly budget. She schedules workshops and programs from that budget. It doesn't matter how many show up for a workshop, the fee is paid in full regardless. It was budgeted so no loss of money if the class was full or not. Each workshop member pays a nominal fee to the guild to take the workshop, pay the day of the workshop. A sign up sheet is presented before the workshop in case there may be too many sign up that goes past the instructor's limit. I won't belong to a guild that has to have the class members pay the total cost of a workshop fee with the class cost. That should be a guild cost paid for by the efforts of the members fundraising.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-08-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Maybe the guild is trying to raise money? Our guild classes are FREE, except for the Nationally know quilt makers.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks ladies for all your comments. I do agree that for a nationally known or even a state wide known teacher, there should be a loss of deposit if one does not show up. My main complaint was the amount for a guild members class at our regular meeting place. Maybe the solution is a smaller deposit. 25.00 just seemed like way too much.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Does it cover the costs of supplies??

sandy
Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 PM

The store where I teach has a policy about paying for the class BEFORE your name gets on the class list. We've had classes where there was a limit of 10 students. When 10 students sign-up, but only 5 pay, and the other 5 don't show up, the teacher prepares materials for 10 people, so looses money on the class. So, it's probably protection for the teacher.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:59 AM

I have taught guild classes in the past. We don't charge a deposit, but we have been discussing asking for payment up front ($10) because members sign up and then don't show. Yes, the location is free but there is still preparation by the workshop chairman and the instructor. It's very discouraging to have 5 people sign up (our minimum) and then have 1 person attend. Even when the instructors call to confirm with students, this happens. I provide a phone number on the supply sheet and still no one calls to say they aren't coming. Our guild is close to canceling the whole program.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 AM

I would not be able to take any of those classes because some days I fell pretty good and some days pretty awful and I wouldn't be a good candidate for anything. I would not bet my $25 that I could attend. Are free classes not valued in your area? Is it necessary to put down a fee like that for that reason? I think maybe she should think that over again. I do see both sides of the issue but maybe there is a better way to guarantee attendance.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 AM

Over the weekend our guild had 2 day long workshops. We use the practice of a $20 deposit, and if you show up, you get your check back. If something major happens, and you can't make it, we would decide if you get your check back. Most likely, you would. You have to realize that for many people, just not feeling like coming is a good enough reason to not show up.

When there are a limited number of spaces, it is only fair to do this. We had many workshops, that half the people just didn't show up, and people who didn't get a chance to sign up were upset. If you went to a major show and signed up for a class, you would be paying way more than $20 for the class.

Our guild will continue to use this practice.